The USS Saratoga (CVA-60)
There have been six US Navy ships named after the historic Battle of Saratoga. The most recent was the USS Saratoga, commissioned as a US Naval Attack Aircraft Carrier (CVA-60) in 1956 and retired from service in 1994.
- Displacement: 56,000 tons
- Length: 1,063 feet
- Beam: 130 feet 4 inches; extreme width: 252 feet
- Draft: 37 feet
- Speed: 33 knots
- Complement: 3,826 crew
- Armament: 4 5-inch guns
- Aircraft: 70 to 90
- Class: Forrestal
The USS Saratoga had a long and illustrious naval history. For nearly forty years she served in the Mediterranean, in the waters off Guantanamo Bay during the Cuban Missile crisis, off the coast of Lebanon during the six day war, and as part of the Vietnam War cruise in 1972, for which she received one battle star for service.
During the 1950’s, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and select members of his cabinet boarded the ship for two historic days of demonstrations for state-of-the-art air, antisubmarine, missile and bombing operations. During the 1960’s, President Richard Nixon was on board for a firepower demonstration. He boarded once again in 1970 upon the death of the President of the United Arab Republic with his Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Secretaries of State and Defense for intelligence gathering purposes.
During the 1980’s she was involved in the dramatic rescue of the hijacked luxury liner Achille Lauro. Upon the orders of President Reagan, seven F-14 tomcats were launched from her deck, surrounded the hijacked aircraft and forced it to land safely in Italy where the hijackers were taken into custody.
The USS Saratoga served during Operation Desert Storm from August 1990 until March 1991. She logged 11,700 arrested landings, 12,700 sorties and traveled 36,382 miles.
She continued her service, her last deployment to the Meditteranean running from January through early June of 1994. She returned to Naval Station Mayport Florida where she was decommissioned. Proudly serving the US Navy, she currently remains at the Naval Station in Newport Rhode Island, a well-known chapter in Saratoga Springs history.
The previous Saratoga Ships:
Launched April 1780
Weight: 150 tons
She was lost at sea on March 18, 1781
Type: Lexington class battle cruiser
Weight: 43, 500 tons
Weight: 734 tons
Sold in Whitehall, NY in 1825
Type: Lexington class
Weight: 33,000 tons
Commissioned November 1927, Decommissioned August 1994
Weight: 882 tons
Commissioned in January 1843, Decommissioned October 1888