Whole Grain: Experiments in Film & Video — Contemporary Experiments in Animation
Join us on Thursday, October 26, at 7:00 pm, for Contemporary Experiments in Animation, an evening of short avant-garde animations, featuring the work of five contemporary animators working in various styles and methods.
The evening will include video work by Hank Willis Thomas, Kambui Olujimi, Carla Gannis, Harun Farocki, Helen Marten, and Christina Grupposo. By employing wildly different approaches to animation, such as stop motion, collage, CGI, appropriated video games, and even emojis, these artists render recognizable imagery and iconography to make deep observations about contemporary society, politics, religion, and the meaning of life. This event is part of Whole Grain, our new experimental film and video series.
The Whole Grain series presents six programs that explore classic and contemporary work in experimental film and video. The schedule in brief:
- Saturday, October 7, 4 pm: Found-footage pioneer Bruce Conner
- Thursday, October 26, 7 pm: Contemporary digital animation
- Saturday, November 4, 4 pm: Short films in the Cubist film tradition
- Saturday, November 11, 4 pm: Maya Deren’s experimental documentary on Haitian Vodou
- Thursday, November 16, 7 pm: A feature-length exploration of the animated GIF
- Saturday, December 2, 4 pm: The campy world of brothers George and Mike Kuchar