Follow these top 10 Saratoga environmental tips to protect your environment and live a greener life in Saratoga NY! Here is a list of 10 simple actions you can take right now to be more eco-friendly.
Top 10 Saratoga Environmental Tips
- Pull the plug! Unplug your electronic devices when not in use (yes, even the cell phone charger). Many appliances and electronics still use electricity when in the off mode.
- Fill 'Em Up! Run your washing machine and dishwasher only when they’re full! (*Added bonus: Not only will you save money on energy, but clothes actually get cleaner when you wash a full load!)
- Stop The Drip, Drip, Drip! Fix dripping faucets and running toilets. Just by taking this simple step, you can save up to 20 gallons of water a day from just going down the... well, you know, toilet. Find Saratoga plumbers and home repair businesses to help stop those drips.
- Tap In! Choose tap water over bottled. (Americans use 2.5 million water bottles a year!) Do a taste test – you might be surprised!
- Shoot For The Star! Buy only Energy Star appliances. This is an easy one that will both save you money and help the environment. Just look for the sticker on all the appliances you purchase.
- Give To Charity! Donate clothing that is still wearable to your local Salvation Army or other location. (You may even luck out and find something “très chic” for yourself!)
- Grow A Green Thumb! Plant a garden, even if it’s just one or two tomato plants! Not only does this produce food without pesticides, but its fun, and homegrown foods taste great. Find Saratoga NY landscaping companies for help with your newfound project.
- Get Bag Saavy! Use biodegradable bags to pick up after your pet. Those regular plastic bags take years to decompose.
- Recycle Appliances! Look for opportunities to recycle your old appliances and electronics. Most local communities in the Saratoga area host electronic recycling days where you can take them for free!
- Swap Bulbs! Replace your light bulbs with Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFLs). They last longer and are much more environmentally compatible.
Once you've gotten a handle on the top ten, try to ease these tips into your routine:
- Errand Sense! Combine your errands into one trip instead of many. You may even consider taking your bike, or walking there.
- Stop Drafts! Seal leaks in your windows and door frames to keep heat in during winter and out during summer. Find Saratoga contractors who can help with this energy saving project.
- Go Public! Use public transportation when you can. It may not be readily available in Saratoga, but when the opportunity arises why not take advantage of it (a bus to Crossgates Mall instead of the car, the train to NYC).
- Buy Organic! Purchase organic foods from a local Saratoga Farmer's Market to help protect the environment and improve your health! Discover our most recommended organic foods to buy at the Farmer's Market.