What Are The 3 R's? The Key to a Greener Saratoga
Following the basic environmental rule of reduce, reuse and recycle is fundamental in creating an eco-friendly community. Just a few of the benefits include saving resources, reducing emissions of pollutants and limiting the amount of landfill space that is created.
Check out how you can incorporate these basic eco-friendly principles into your daily routine. Reduce, reuse, recycle with these easy steps.
Reducing is the most effective of the three R's. It's as simple as limiting your consumption and buying less. Let's look at a few small efforts you can make toward reducing waste on a daily basis
- Take a coffee mug to work instead of using disposable cups
- Use steel cutlery instead of plastic
- Buy used goods when possible
- Turn off all electric appliances when not in use
Reusing is as easy as finding new uses for items such as containers and clothing. Check out these easy ways to reuse some of the products you use everyday:
- Store leftover food in jars rather than throw-away containers
- Donate old electrical equipment to schools or community centers in the Saratoga region
- Build a compost bin to not only lower methane emissions but to help your garden grow
- Refurbish old furniture rather than buying new
Recycling is the last of the R's and it is the final step to complete the circle. Instead of throwing items away, recycling takes valuable materials from "trash" and creates new products. If you can't find a way to use something, recycle it! Here's a look at key items to recycle:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum cans and products
- Paper and cardboard
- Home appliances
Follow these environmentally friendly practices for a greener community in Saratoga!