The Holidays Are Right Around The Corner! What Do I Get My Mother-In-Law?
There's a question that many of us struggle with every holiday season! Picking out the "perfect" gift for your mother-in-law can be a daunting task, especially for those who are newly married.
But don't panic! If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it's that it really IS the thought that counts! Think carefully about what it is your mother-in-law likes/loves.
First, if she has grandchildren, that's always a great place to start! Second, think of what she has in her home. Does she like to have candles about the house? Does she have collections that she displays? How about a favorite wine or candy?
It's been my experience that putting in a little extra thought can make all the difference. You don't have to break the bank to get the perfect gift. Gifts that speak to the heart or prove that you really pay attention to her likes and dislikes are sure to get a smile from your mother-in-law this season.
Here are a few ideas to get you started....
- Pictures: Fill a photo album, create a photo book or customize a calendar with snapshots of family memories -- maybe sneak in a few shots that she hasn't seen before! Load a digital picture frame with pictures of the grandchildren, and she can enjoy a slideshow of photos right on her wall! If there are no grandchildren yet, put together a collage of pictures of your spouse and other loved ones.
- Wine & Accessories: If your mother-in-law enjoys wine, choose a couple of nice bottles of her favorites. Add some special wine glasses, wine stoppers, openers, wine caddy, cheeses & gourmet crackers. Choose a basket or other sort of container that she can reuse and you've got a great gift! You can also check out local wineries who might have great wine gift baskets all ready for you to choose from.
- Candles: If your mother-in-law likes having candles to brighten up and freshen up her home, pay attention to what scents she enjoys and put together a collection. Bump it up with holders and accessories if you'd like.
- Hobby Related: What does your mother-in-law do in her free time? Does she like to read, watch movies, golf, go to the gym, play tennis? Maybe she's into sewing, scrapbooking, knitting, cooking or gardening. Get something you know she can and will put to good use and appreciate.
- Jewelry: A family birthstone ring is a nice gesture that she will cherish. You can have a ring designed with the grandchildren's birthstones and have it engraved with their names. If your mother-in-law is not into wearing rings, there are other great options as well. If you get really stumped, try to find a few photos where she is wearing jewelry. You can bring these with you to one of the jewelry stores in Saratoga, and have them assist you in picking out a piece that will complement her current collection and style. If you really want to impress her, opt for a jewelry armoire for her to store and organize her jewelry.
Whether you choose one of the ideas above or use them to jump start your own ideas, we hope to spark your imagination and help "unstump" you when it comes to coming up with a great gift idea for your mother-in-law. Best of luck to you!
Get More Holiday Gift Ideas Here »
See Saratoga's Best LOCAL Gift Ideas »
Return to the Saratoga Holiday Guide »