Choose & Cut Your Own Christmas Tree in Saratoga NY!
It just wouldn't be Christmas without the tree!
Whether it's dressed in colored lights, all in white or has a specific theme you just can't go wrong! Choosing a tree can be a fun holiday family tradition
that brings everyone together and gets you in the spirit.
This year, why not cut your own tree? If you haven't ever chopped your own tree, it's a lot of fun. There is something about wandering through a field of trees and searching until you lay eyes on the perfect tree!
For those who like to get to their tree early, this is a great way to get a farm fresh Christmas tree that is sure to last until New Year's day. You don't have to wonder about when it was really cut.
For so many reasons cutting and choosing your own tree is a holiday season MUST. See a list of Christmas tree farms in the Saratoga NY area and cut your tree today!
Tips For Choosing The Perfect Christmas Tree
- Decide where the tree is going to stand in your home - Avoid placing your tree near a heat source such as radiators, heating vents, and fireplaces. Also try to keep the tree out of areas where it might get bumped or knocked over. Have the perfect spot from last year? Read on!
- Measure the space - Before you set out to find the perfect tree you'll want to measure how tall your ceilings are and the width of the space you have chosen. Also, don't forget to take into account the height of your tree stand, as well as the height of the star or angel that will be placed on top!
- Bring a couple of things with you - Take the tape measure with you so you can measure the trees you're considering to make sure they will fit. Once you're outside it may be hard to keep things to scale. Also bring a pair of heavy gloves with you to protect your hands and an old blanket to protect your car from needles and sap. Take twine or rope to secure the tree to your car (although many tree lots provide this - better safe than sorry!)
- Note the space between branches - Keep in mind that a tree looks better when the ornaments have enough room to hang straight. For ornaments to hang straight you want a tree with a good amount of space between the branches. Bring an unbreakable ornament with you and hang it on several branches to see if there is room for it to hang straight. Fraser or Noble Fir are always good selections, as they offer space between branches, as well as stronger stems to hold heavier ornaments.
- Select a fresh tree - Cutting your own tree? It doesn't get any fresher than that! Choosing from a lot? You can tell if a tree is fresh by looking at the needles. They should look shiny and green - not dry or brown. They should not fall off when you pull on a branch or shake the tree.
- Transporting your tree - Many lots and farms will wrap the tree in netting for you and they should have twine on site. If you have a van or truck, the best bet is to lay the tree inside your car or trunk for the drive home. If you drive with the tree on the roof of your car, make sure to tie it securely to the car. You may want to wrap it in the tarp or old blanket that we mentioned earlier.
See all the Saratoga Area Christmas Tree Farms »
« Back to Saratoga Holiday Guide