Lodging > Saratoga Travel Tips:
Make your next family trip fun and relaxing! Read our tips for traveling with children and fun things to do in Saratoga once you get here.
On The Road
- Bring a map: Whether you are traveling by car or by plane, show kids the route. Bring a map of the journey so they can follow along. This will keep even the little ones occupied, and could potentially eliminate the age-old question "Are we there yet?" from your child's vocabulary!
- Kid-Friendly Hotel: Before booking your reservation at one of the Saratoga hotels, ask the concierge if they offer any kid services. Some hotels, motels and resorts offer kid-friendly meals, amenities, and/or various kid services, ie: day care, children's games, scheduled activities or programs.
- Settle in: Consider a vacation rental. This type of lodging allows children to have their own space to spread out. Plus, you can make more meals at home, allowing you to eat in more often.
Fun Things To Do With Kids In Saratoga
Read our suggestions of child-oriented excursions in and around Saratoga.
- Parks: Head to the Saratoga Spa State Park. Enjoy the nature trails in the summer or take the kids snowshoeing in the winter. There are plenty of picnic places, whether you want to hang out at one of the pavillions in the park or on the grass somewhere. Pack some food, and bring some games to play to enjoy the Spa Park. Some of the pavillions even offer play ground areas.
- Pools: If you come to Saratoga in the summer, there are some pools in the park that the kids will enjoy, including the Victoria Pool and the Peerless Pool - both are in the Saratoga Spa State Park.
- Horses: Are your children horse lovers? If you are going to the Saratoga Racetrack with the kids, consider sitting near the Paddock. Children will delight in watching the horses go by. If your kids wake up early, watch the horses while enjoying breakfast at the track, which opens at 7 a.m. They give free, family-friendly tours of the track in morning, as well.
- Food: During the warmer months, consider eating outdoors. Many Saratoga restaurants offer outdoor seating and children will love watching the people walk by. There are a few great restaurants to bring the kids: Try the Circus Cafe on Broadway, your kids will love the colorful atmosphere and the cotton candy! The Olde Bryan Inn is also conveniently located off-Broadway and is a warm, family environment.
- Dessert: Once you are done with dinner, stroll around to some of the many delicious dessert places downtown for a little treat! There are plenty of places for the kids to get ice cream in Saratoga, such as Johnny's Italian Ices or Ben & Jerry's! OR try one of the cupcake shops, like Bettie's Cakes or The Cupacake Lab!
- Carousel: Stop by Congress Park. Children will love taking a picnic at the park, feeding the ducks, seeing the "Spit" and "Spat" fountains and riding the Carousel.
- Springs: Take your own tour of Saratoga's mineral springs. Print out the list and location of all the mineral springs in Saratoga and take the kids on a mini-adventure. They will love tasting the different springs and checking each one off that they visited. Plus, they get to see many different areas of Saratoga Springs!
- Museums: Enjoy Interactive exhibits, and kid-friendly workshops at The Children's Museum at Saratoga.
- Day Trip: Take a day trip to Lake George. Spend the day at The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom, or play a round of mini-golf. You can also experience go-karts, arcades, and other recreational activities around Saratoga perfect for the kids and kids at heart.
- In the fall: Coming to Saratoga in the fall? Take a day trip to an apple orchard, pumpkin patch or head to the Adirondacks for beautiful views of the fall foliage.