It's exciting to buy a home in Saratoga! Discover these Saratoga real estate tips for family moving, and discover ways to understand your family’s needs, wants, concerns and reservations about moving before setting out on your search.
There are many mortgage lenders, real estate brokers and other professionals throughout Saratoga and surrounding areas that can help you find and budget for a home that meets your family’s specific needs. Browse Saratoga real estate listings.
Work Out The Home Buying Basics
Discuss some of the major details with your spouse
before beginning your Saratoga real estate search. Here are a few "talking points" to get you started in the right direction:
- Do you want to be in a remote location in the country?
- Would you rather live in downtown Saratoga?
- Do you want a brand new home?
- Do you want a fixer-upper?
- How do you feel about vinyl siding?
- Do you prefer brick houses?
- How much acreage are you hoping for?
Questions such as these can help you get a better understanding for what you’re each looking for and can help narrow down options when searching for a new home.
Make family moving fun!
Have your kids and spouse talk about their hopes and dreams for a new home. This can be silly and serious at the same time. Find out what’s most important to them, and communicate what you find most important as well. Talk about the similarities and differences in your ideas of a perfect home in Saratoga.
Play the 'would you rather' game. You might be surprised by your family's answers! Your spouse might care less about having a luxurious master bathroom and more about having a large patio for outdoor entertaining. Your children might rather have a media room or game room than a spacious backyard.
After you get a feel for what your family really wants, you'll have a better idea of what that ‘perfect’ home in Saratoga should be like.
Think About Schooling
Another important question to ask when setting out on your search for a new home is, “What Saratoga County schools
will be best for my children?”
You can find information online
about the quality of different schools, and realtors can also help tremendously in understanding each district.
But nobody knows your children better than you do
, so make your final decision based on their needs and preferences. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- If you have an athlete, try to find a school with a good sports reputation and a wide variety of athletic activities.
- If your child has special needs, look into the special help programs for different schools.
- If your daughter is a dancer, look for a school that offers dance.
- If you have an artistic child, ask about schools with a reputable art program.
- If your children love music, talk with local school music instructors to find a good fit.
- If your child is shy, he or she may be more comfortable in a smaller district than in a very large school.
The ultimate goal is to find a place where they will feel comfortable, get a good education and can be happy.
Start The House Hunt Together!
Involve the whole family in the home buying process .
Make a list of what's most important to everyone, and visit open houses as a family. Moving can be stressful, but you can make it fun and exciting!
Ready to start the house hunt?
Find Saratoga homes for sale
and local real estate agents
who can help you discover the perfect home for you and your family right here on Saratoga.com.