February 2012 Archives
Lots of reading going on this week to celebrate Dr. Suess and Read Across America Day! Also check out the Hannaford Kidz Expo, guaranteed to be fun for the whole family!
1. Starting at 9:30 on Tuesday, Feb. 28th check out Toddler Story Time at the Saratoga Public Library. This interactive program is designed to foster a love of stories, as well as encourage the development of pre-literacy skills. Children ages 24-42 months and their parent or caregiver will be introduced to stories, rhymes, and songs that they can enjoy together. For more information stop by the Children's Room or call 518-584-7860 opt. 3.
2. On Thursday from 3-4pm Celebrate Read Across America Day and Dr. Seuss' birthday at The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls. Hear a Dr. Seuss story and create a take-home masterpiece in the Art Studio. For more information call 518-792-1761, ext. 17.
3. Starting at 9am on Saturday, March 3rd you can check out the Book Fair in celebration of NEA Read Across America Day at Barnes & Noble, Route 50 in Wilton. Celebrate Read Across America Day with BN & Saratoga Reads! There will be tons of fun for kids with a scavenger hunt, scientific discovery activities, a book signing with award-winning author, Steve Sheinkin, face painting, storytime and more! For more information call 580-8008.
4. Also on Saturday from 12-4pm in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, the Children's Museum at Saratoga will be holding their annual Seussian Celebration. This year they are celebrating Hop on Pop. Come and participate in a themed scavenger hunt, "Hop on Pop" in their bounce house, listen to Dr. Seuss stories, create Dr. Seuss crafts, visit local children's vendors, and participate in basket raffles. Like Dr. Seuss says, "If you never did you should. These things are fun, and fun is good"! For more information call (518) 584-5540.
5. From 10am-5pm on Saturday is the the 2012 Hannaford Kidz Expo. The Expo will fill the Convention Center at the Empire State Plaza in Albany with thousands of children and their families for a jam-packed day of entertainment, information, activities and fun. From toddler to teen, there will be something for everyone at the 7th annual, wildly popular event. This year the expo will encompass the entire Convention Hall, all seven meeting rooms, the Swyer Theatre in the Egg and more than half of the quarter mile long Concourse. For more information call (518) 474-0460.
This week's FAB line-up includes some culinary adventure, pregnancy education and discussion, live music, the fabulous Home and Garden Show and a great beer and brew tasting event!
1. On Tuesday, Feb. 28th explore the region of Veneto and learn tips from a master while you sip wine and watch a fantastic meal prepared from start to finish by Chef Fabrizio at the Veneto Cooking School at Chianti Il Ristorante. Chef Fabrizio Bazzani leads you on a culinary journey through the Italian region of Veneto as part of Chianti's Tour of Italy with his new Veneto inspired Cooking School. Time is 7:00pm and cost is $49/per person. Contact them at 518-580-0025 to make reservations or for more information.
2. On Wednesday, Feb. 29th there will be an informative and free discussion concerning what you can do to maintain a healthy pregnancy and feel prepared for your new arrival at Adirondack Community Acupuncture, 366 Aviation Road, Queensbury. Admission is free, contact them at 518-307-9810 for more information.
3. Check out some great live music on Friday as Grand Central Station takes the stage at Vapor Night Club! No cover charge. Doors open at 8pm. Bands take the stage at 9pm. For More Information Call: 518-584-2110
4. Friday, March 2nd kicks off the annual Saratoga Springs Rotary Club Home and Garden Show at the Saratoga City Center and it runs through Sunday, March 4th. Visitors will find hundreds of great products from the kitchen sink to cabinets, to windows and waterfalls, and projects displayed by over 130 residential service exhibitors. There will also be prizes given away ALL weekend long!
Show Hours are as follows:
Friday, March 2nd from 5pm to 9pm. Saturday, March 3rd from 9am to 7pm. Sunday, March 4th from 10am to 4pm. For More Information Call: (518) 242-0506
5. On Saturday, March 3rd from 6-9pm join them at the Saratoga Automobile Museum for the 3rd Annual Beer and Brew tasting event, featuring over twenty beers from the finest regional breweries. Delicious food from The Lily and the Rose, music by Summer of Doug and the feature exhibit, PORSCHE - 60 YEARS OF SPEED AND STYLE. Tickets are available on the Museum's website or by calling 518-587-1935. Proceeds to benefit the Museum's programming. For More Information Call: 518-587-1935. Cost is $35 per person.
Beer week, Bond, pasta sauce and more! Get your sitter and make your plans for a fun week ahead!
1. Breastfeeding Café is meeting at Virgil's House - 86 Henry Street, Saratoga Springs on Tuesday, Feb 21st from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Free and informational gathering for Past, Present and Future Breastfeeding Moms.
2. The Kick Off party for Saratoga Beer Week is on Thursday, Feb 23rd starting at 4:00 PM at the Saratoga Brewery, 131 Excelsior Ave, Saratoga Springs. Cost is $7. Click here for more information on Saratoga Beer Week!
3. Also on Thursday, check out Thursday Nights at the Tang at 7:00 PM at Skidmore College. Thursday Nights at the Tang Art Battles-art, music, food...What is Art Battles? In the past it has been like an interactive, multi-medium game of Pictionary, but you never can be sure exactly what will happen. Come prepared to participate, or just to watch. Sponsored by ProArts.
4. This weekend is The Winter Ball, BOND: Shaken Not Stirred, hosted by SPAC's Junior Committee! Help to support SPAC's classical season all while enjoying great food, drinks, live music, and dancing - a night to escape to the world of Bond! Tickets are on sale now:
Regular: $70 Open Bar: $100 Live Music by 'The Accents'. Bond attire admired...but not required. For More Information Call: 518.584.9330.
5. On Saturday, Feb 25th at 11:00 AM head to Forno Bistro in Saratoga for a hands-on Italian Sauces Cooking Class. With a laugh that fills the room and countless stories about the old country Mamma is everyone's Italian grandmother. Learn to make Red, White & Pink sauces from scratch then afterward sip a glass or two of wine and enjoy the sauces of your labor! Sign-up today for this unique chance to learn authentic Italian cooking from the one-and-only Mamma. Cost: $45 per person For more information call 518.581-2401.
1. Monday, Feb 20th
from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM head to the Saratoga Springs Public Library for a
Family Movie-they'll be showing The Lion King! Kids-feel free to bring your favorite picnic
blanket to throw down and get comfy with. Grown-ups, they will have chairs too!
No registration is necessary. Admission
forget about Mamatoga Favorite, The Children's Museum at Saratoga! They will be
having great programs all week, including a special President's Day Program on
February 20th from 10:30 - 12pm where kids will be learning about George
Washington and Abraham Lincoln through stories and crafts. Make a George
Washington silhouette, an Abraham Lincoln top hat, or both! George Washington
10:30 am - 11:00 am, Abraham Lincoln 11:30am - 12:00 pm, free with museum
admission, pre-registration is required. This program is for children age 6 and
Reads! is offering a Winter Break Art Program for Kids on Tuesday, February 21,
10:30 AM to noon at the Tang Teaching Museum & Art Gallery, Skidmore
College. The group will make fantastic colorful 3D cells out of Model Magic,
beads, and other materials. Participants should read one of the 3 Junior Book
selections from Saratoga Reads! prior to February 21st. This event
traditionally fills very quickly, and registration is required. To register,
call the Tang Museum at 580- 8080.
Wednesday Feb 22nd the Wilton Preserve & Park is joining up with
the Saratoga Springs Public Library to hold an Animal Tracking Snowshoe Walk in
Congress Park from 11:00 am - noon. Participants will meet in the
Crawshaw Story Room to receive animal footprint identification cards and loaner
snowshoes. They will then walk as a group to Congress Park, put on the
snowshoes and look for animal tracks. This program is limited to 20 families,
or when the snowshoes run out, so register early! Please bring your own
snowshoes if you have them. Children must be accompanied by a parent or a
caregiver and should be at least five years old. If there is no snow on
the ground, the program will still run as a nature walk and activity. Preregistration
required in the Library's Children's Room or by calling 518-584-7860, option 3
5. At The Hyde Collection check out Cabin
Fever: Art and Architecture Workshops running from Wed, Feb 22nd until
Thu, Feb 23rd from 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM. See the architectural designs in Building Futures: Re-Envisioning The
Hyde at Rensselaer, then create your own building designs in the Art Studio.
May attend one or both days. FREE. For More
Information Call: 518-792-1761.
Make sure you find a sitter this week so you can hit the town and celebrate Valentine's Day with your sweetheart! On the FAB list this week there are two different Valentine's offerings for a romantic night together, a wine tasting benefit, some live theater and a last minute Valentine's shopping event. Get the details here!
1. On Monday, Feb. 13th there is a special Men's Valentine's Shopping Day from 10am to 8pm at Decadent Diva Gourmet Chocolates (241 Milton Ave. in Ballston Spa). They will be offering a One-Stop Shopping Men's Day for Valentine's. You can also call the shop to Pre-Order Belgian Chocolate Covered Strawberries that can be picked up at the special event! There will be lots of fabulous gifts to choose from, including chocolate roses, strawberry bouquets, roses and tulips from Dehn's Flowers, jewelry, accessories and more! For more information call 518-490-2160.
2. On Tuesday, Feb. 14th the Saratoga Winery is having a wine and chocolate tasting specially for Valentine's Day! Enjoy a romantic table for two and a private tasting of handmade chocolates paired with all of the best Saratoga wines. Cost is $50 per couple and the evening will include gourmet chocolate covered strawberries, keepsake wine glasses, Sparkling Saratoga waters, a red rose and more! For more information call (518) 584-9463.
3. Another Valentine's offering is happening from 5-9pm at Ravenous, 21 Phila Street in Saratoga Springs. They are offering a special fixed price menu selection for $19.99 which includes a dinner crepe, organic side salad, small cone of pommes frites (my favorite!), your choice of any homemade dip sauce and any dessert crepe you choose. They are taking reservations for this evening, but walk-ins are welcome. For more information call (518) 581-0560.
4. On Thursday, Feb. 16th come out to support the Saratoga Children's Theater at their Wine Tasting Fundraiser. Cost is $25 per person or $40 per couple and the event runs from 7-9pm at the Saratoga Winery, 462 Route 29, Saratoga Springs. All proceeds benefit Saratoga Children's Theatre. For more information call (518) 580-1782.
5. On Friday, Feb 17th, Award-winning actor and playwright Ellen McLaughlin and author of Ajax in Iraq brings her one-woman theater piece Penelope to Skidmore College. The play is based on the story of the patient wife of Odysseus, who knitted while waiting for her husband to return from the Trojan War. A woman's ex-husband appears at her door after an absence of 20 years, suffering from brain damage. A veteran of a modern war, he doesn't know who he is and she doesn't know who he's become. While they wait together for his return to himself, she reads him The Odyssey, and in the journey of that book, she finds a way into her former husband's memory and the terror and trauma of war. From 8-10pm. Cost is $10 for General Admission, $5 Students/Skidmore Community Members/Senior Citizens. For reservations, contact the Skidmore Theater Box Office at 518-580-5439 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week in February is full of fun! Sweet Treats, a special author visit, creating with beads, the Flurry and more!
1. On Monday, Feb. 13th the Sweet Treats program will be held at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library. Children in grades K-5 are invited to make crafts at the stop-in program. No registration is required and parents and their children can stop in any time from 3-4:30. The activity will take about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. For questions call 518-371-8622.
2. At the Children's Museum at Saratoga check out Beads! Beads! Beads! on Wednesday, Feb. 15th from 1 - 2 pm. They have the beads, you have your imagination. Your child can make jewelry, headbands, key chains and more!
3. On Thursday, Feb. 16th there will be a special visit from John Fleischman, author of "Phineas Gage" at the Saratoga Springs Public Library from 7-8pm. In the H. Dutcher Community Room, John Fleischman, author of the Saratoga Reads Junior Companion Book "Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story of Brain Science," will discuss his book. Suggested audience is grade 4 through adult. John Fleischman will also be speaking to Skidmore students in the morning and 6th grades students from Maple Avenue Middle School (in Red Spring and Excelsior Spring) as well. For more information call 580-8008. Admission is free, tickets are available in the Children's Room of the Library.
4. February 16th at the newly opened Wonder Room (located at 896 Saratoga Road in Ballston Lake) it is Theme Thursday from 9am - 2pm for ages 3 and up. Activities inspired by their monthly theme "Going Places". How do we get there? Who gets us there? Where do we go? and what helps us find our way? For more information contact them at 518-602-0237.
5. The Flurry is here! This great winter weekend for dancers and music lovers is fun for all ages! There will be dances, workshops, singing, concerts, jamming, performances, family events, storytelling, crafts and more! Beginner, intermediate and experienced level workshops and dances, over 300 performers at 6 venues and over 250 events. Starting on Friday, Feb. 17th it runs through Sunday, Feb. 19th. For more information click here
This week for the Kid Friendly events we have kids yoga, reading practice with a Newfoundland, a local school Open House to check out and fun activities with story time and art!
1. At the National Museum of Dance Yoga Motion, a yoga and creative movement class for kids starts on Tuesday, February 7th. This class will include a series of Yoga poses geared for children such as the Cobra, Lion and Flamingo to promote strength, flexibility, focus and creativity! For More Information Call (518) 584-2225 x3001. Running from Tuesday, Feb 7th, until Tuesday, March 27th from 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Cost is $80 for 8 weeks.
2. Also on Tuesday from 5-6PM your child can read to Quinn the Tail Waggin' Tutor! Call 518-584-7860, opt. 3 each Tuesday to register your child for a 10 minute reading session with Quinn. Quinn is a Newfoundland who trains regularly with the Northland Newfoundland Club and has taken many classes through The Complete Canine and is certified through Therapy Dogs International. This adorable pup loves people, especially kids, and loves to make people smile. He will be very happy to lie quietly and listen to any story your child chooses!
3. On Wednesday, February 8th Saratoga Independent School is hosting an Open House today (snow date is February 9th) to give parents the opportunity to learn more about its elementary and preschool programs, meet the staff, and take a tour of the facilities. The morning Open House begins at 9:30am; however, parents are also invited to join them at 9:00 AM to see their K-6 Community Morning Meeting. An Open House and tour will also be offered at 6pm. Please RSVP to Maegan Conley at 583-0841 if you plan to attend.
4. Drop-in between 1:30-4:30PM Wednesdays at The Hyde Collection during the school year for children ages 6-12 with adult chaperone for Artfull Afternoons. Each week children are invited to learn about a specific artist, work of art, or style from the Museum's permanent collection. Children will explore a variety of artistic mediums as they create their own Hyde-inspired masterpiece. Call 518-792-1761 for more information.
5. Story Art is at the Children's Museum at Saratoga on Saturday, Feb 11th from 10:30 - 11:00AM. Reading together is always better, so join them Saturdays for this fun literacy program. Kids will read a book and do a related craft project.
This week for the Mamatoga FAB Five are some great culinary treats, a chance to engage in discussion about the Saratoga Springs community book of the year, and some fun benefits that help support great local organizations. So find your sitter and head out for some fun!
1. On Thursday, February 9th head to the Higher Grounds Caffe at the Saratoga Springs Public Library for the Saratoga Reads! Adult Book Discussion from 6:45 PM to 8:00 PM. The discussion will be focused on their 2012 book choice, The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. The widely acclaimed nonfiction work tells the story of an African American woman who sought treatment for cervical cancer at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1951. During treatment, and without her consent, samples of her cancer tissue were taken for medical and scientific experimentation.
2. Check out Rock-n-Row with Gravity on Friday, February 10th at 7:00 PM at Putnam Den. The event will benefit the The Saratoga Rowing Association Community Boathouse. You can buy in advance at 587-6697, email: email@example.com or buy at the door. Cost is $25 per person.
3. On Saturday, February 11th is the 15th Annual Bartender's Ball from 6:30 PM to 12:00 AM at the Saratoga City Center. This is always a fun event, lots of fun and a great pre-Valentine's Day date! Cost is $50 per person. Call 518-583-0280
for more information.
4. Also on Saturday, the Saratoga Winery is having a Sweetheart's Surf & Turf Wine & Food Pairing from 7:00 to 10:00PM. The menu sounds amazing with dishes like Nantucket Shrimp Bisque and Sicilian Shrimp and Veggie Pasta Nests. Cost is $35 per person, call (518) 584-9463 for more information.
5. Forno Bistro is holding an educational series focusing on the Food, Wine, Culture & History of the regions of Northern, Central & Southern Italy on Saturday, February 11th at 11:00 AM. This three class series, billed as a " Cultural and Culinary Odyssey" will focus this week on Central Italy (Tuscany, Umbria, Abruzzo, Lazio). Reserve your space by calling 518-581-2401. Cost is $50.
« January 2012 |
Blog Home |
| March 2012 »
Leave a Comment