March 2012 Archives
We've got eggs on the brain this week! Learn how to dye them naturally and have an "eggstravaganza" to support the Double H Ranch! There's also some French art, reading to Quinn and exercise for the little ones, check it out here!
1. On Wednesday, March 28th bring the kids to read to Quinn! Quinn is a Newfoundland who trains regularly with the Northland Newfoundland Club and has taken many classes through The Complete Canine. He is certified through Therapy Dogs International. This adorable pup loves people, especially kids, and loves to make people smile. He will be very happy to lie quietly and listen to any story you choose. Simply call the day you wish your child to read to Quinn to schedule a 10 minute appointment. 584-7860 opt. 3 Drop-ins are also accepted if there are time slots available.
2. Friday, March 30th has Wiggle and Giggle at the Children's Museum at Saratoga! From 10 - 11:30 kids can come and learn what they can do with their bodies through structured group activities and guided free play. Kids can crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll bolls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of instruments. This is a great opportunity to meet new friends and get some exercise!
3. From 10:30am till noon on Saturday, March 31st head to The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls for kids to check out the Artist of the Week! This week's featured artist is Courbet. See the French artist's work and make an inspired work of art in the Art Studio. Admission is free. For More Information Call: 518-792-1761.
4. Want to learn how to dye eggs the eco-friendly way? Head to Saratoga Spa State Park for their Natural Egg Dye Workshop on Saturday from 11am - 12:30pm. Kids will learn all about what colors you can make with different vegetables and will bring home some naturally dyed eggs of their own! Registration is required and there is a $5 fee. Call (518)-584-2000 ext. 116 to register.
5. On Sunday, April 1st help support the Double H Ranch and join them at the 5th Annual Eggstravaganza at the Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Waterpark, for a day of fabulous breakfast & fun-filled children's activities centered around a spring theme. Breakfast & Activities 9:30-11am, Complimentary Admission to the Waterpark from 11am - Close. Come dressed for fun! Bring your bathing suit & towel. The event will feature children's games, dancing, bingo, Magician Alan Edstrom, egg decorating, mini-manicures for princesses, Six Flags craft stations, silent auction, and a fantastic breakfast buffet provided by the Great Escape Lodge and US. Foods.Partners Members - $100 (per family of four), $15 for each additional child, $40 per adult, $20 per child and Non-Partners Members - $120 (per family of four), $20 for each additional child, $45 per adult, $25 per child. For More Information Call: 518-696-5921 ext. 269.
This week you can check out a fantastic local preschool, learn about what's going on in the mind of your teen, help support suicide prevention, unwin(e)d at the Saratoga Sip and more!
1. On Wednesday, March 28th the Waldorf School of Saratoga Springs Early Childhood Programs will have an Open House from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Meet their faculty, staff, and parents! Learn about their proven play-based curriculum and visit their two Early Childhood Programs locations; Early Childhood Center; 212 Lake Avenue Forest Kindergarten; 45 Kaydeross Avenue West. For more information please contact Anne Maguire at 587-2224 or email@example.com
2. Also on Wednesday, check out Welcome to the Teenage Brain at Maple Avenue Middle School from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Teens have always taken risks. Their brains are wired that way. But today's kids live in a new age of risk taking: synthetic marijuana, prescription drugs, and all kids of digital risk taking - including sexting and cyber-bullying. Join nationally-renowned speaker Mike Nerney for a thought-provoking & entertaining evening that will cover teen moods and emotions, risky and impulsive behavior, and protecting your child from alcohol & other drugs. Come find out why risk-taking is hard-wired into the teen brain, and the best ways to communicate with kids during the adolescent years. (This event was rescheduled from February 29th due to snow.) Admission is free. For More Information Call: 518-581-1230
3. On Saturday, March 31st head to Emerson Auditorium at Skidmore College for Behind the Scenes with Danny Hakim of The New York Times. Presented by Saratoga Reads! This will be a moderated discussion with Danny Hakim on his role at "The New York Times." Mr. Hakim is the New York Times Albany Bureau Chief, and was part of a team that won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News for its swift and sweeping coverage of the sex scandal that resulted in the resignation of Gov. Eliot Spitzer. His articles for The Times have taken him to an Indiana camp for Hummer aficionados, to the Michigan hunting preserve of the rock guitarist Ted Nugent and into the deep thicket of General Motors' financial statements and the New York State budget. The event will take place at 2 p.m. For more information visit: http://www.saratogareads.org/ or call: 580-8008.
4. On Saturday night from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM check out the Second Annual Bachelor Auction to benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention at Vapor at Saratoga Casino and Raceway. The VIP Meet & Greet is at 6pm and the auction starts at 7pm. Fifteen of the Capital Region's hottest bachelors are up for bid, with each bachelor putting together an amazing date package! This is an event you won't want to miss! And don't worry if you're not in the market for a bachelor, you can still support this great cause with their amazing raffles items! After the auction, stick around for great music by Brown Bag Allstar DJ Element from NYC starting at 9pm. Cost: $20-30.00. For More Information Call: (518) 209-3569.
5. Also on Saturday is the 2012 Saratoga Sip: an evening of fine wine and food. Enjoy wines from around the world and gourmet foods from the region's finest eateries. Dance the night away and don't forget about the $20 Wine wall, where you can take home a bottle of wine worth $20 to $100. Then, join them for an exclusive After Party. The evening will conclude with specialty drinks and dessert creations from around the area. From 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Saratoga Hilton, 534 Broadway, Saratoga Springs. Cost: $80 - $100. General Admission is $80 per person ($35 is tax deductible) Includes admission, all food & wine tasting and an event keepsake. Junior Admission (Ages 21-30) is $60 per person ($20 is tax deductible) Includes admission, all food & wine tasting and an event keepsake. Cost for the Exclusive After Party (Space is Limited) $100 per person ($45 is tax deductible) 9:00-10pm. Includes all benefits above plus admission to the exclusive After Party featuring Specialty Drinks and Dessert Creations. Reservations are required.This event will support the Northeastern New York Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. For More Information Call: (518) 783-7361.
On tap for this week? Celebrating 30 years with the Prevention Council, meeting up with some moms at Virgil's for Breastfeeding Cafe, two very informative events at the library for parents and an opportunity to have fun while checking out some great art at the National Museum of Dance. Find your babysitter, make some plans and have some fun!
1. On Tuesday, March 20th from 3:30 to 6:00 PM join the Prevention Council as they celebrate their 30th year of prevention services in Saratoga County! There'll be birthday cake, hors d'oeuvres catered by Black Diamond, and the unveiling of a brand new logo. Be the first to see their new look as they continue to evolve and address the new and changing needs of adolescents, teens, and families. Prevention Council Offices are at 36 Phila Street, Saratoga Springs. For More Information Call: 518-581-1230.
2. Breastfeeding Café will be at Virgil's House - 86 Henry Street, Saratoga Springs on Tuesday, March 20th from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Check out this free and informational gathering for Past, Present and Future Breastfeeding Moms.
3. Thinking about taking the cloth diapering plunge? Then check out Cloth Diapering 101 on Wednesday, March 21st from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. Admission is free, facilitated by Mamatoga favorite Vikki Casey-Ahmed of Sonrise Diaper Service. An introduction to the "Thoroughly Modern Millie" world of cloth diapering options. Location: Glasby Room. Register in the Children's Room or by calling 584-7860 opt. 3.
4. Also at the Saratoga Library on Wednesday from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM Check out How to Pay for College Without Going Broke. Pierce Mahar of Educational Funding Specialists explains how to make college affordable by developing a financial plan, increasing tax deductions, maximizing financial aid and negotiating awards. Register in the Children's Room or by calling 584-7860, opt 3.
5. On Saturday, March 24th from 7:00 PM to 11:45 PM check out Contemporary Collective at the National Museum of Dance. This event puts emphasis on the different, the avant-garde, the underground, the affordable, the up-and-coming, the new twist, and the everything-in-between. 2D, 3D, Mixed Media, Performance, Sound, Participatory Art, and of course DANCE works are all welcome. Beer by Harpoon. Hot dance party by DJ Dragonette. Food by Orapellos Wood Fired Pizza. This is an 18+ event. $5 Admission includes beer for those over 21. For More Information Call: 518-584-2225 x3001.
With this beautiful weather it feels as if spring has sprung! There is one last chance to get in some skiing though, plus bunnies, crafts, an Easter "eggstravaganza", and Alice!
1. Monday, March 19th starts Take Your Son to Gore Week! Enjoy free skiing and snowboarding for sons 19 and under with a full-paying parent! For more information call: (518) 251-2411 X1004.
2. The Bunnies are coming to Image Photo and Events on Friday March 23rd! The perfect picture for Spring or Easter: have your child's picture taken with live bunnies! This is a one day only event, so please call to reserve your session! For More Information Call: (518) 584-0049. Prices start at $69.
3. On Saturday, March 24th at go! where children discover the world in Glens Falls celebrate the Spring Equinox and Persian 'No Ruz' (New Year)! Explore Persian No Ruz traditions through hands-on activities, crafts and songs and learn a simple No Ruz dance. Call 518-793-2773 for details and registration. For ages 5-12; Registration required by March 22. For more Information Call: 518-793-2773.
4. On Saturday, March 24th join Radio Disney AM 1460 at Clifton Park Center Mall on March 24th for the Easter Eggstravaganza! The Road Crew will be there playing awesome Easter games and making special Easter crafts starting at 11am. Enjoy free face painting and fun on the bounce around throughout the day. Don't miss this eggcellent time! For more information visit: http://radio.disney.go.com/music/yoursta...
5. Also on Saturday, a children's classic comes to life at Charles R. Wood Theatre, 207 Glen Street in Glens Falls. The Adirondack Ballet Theater Presents: ''Alice in Wonderland''. Take a magical journey through the Looking Glass with Alice. The ballet is envisioned based on Lewis Carroll's children version of Alice in Wonderland and performed by local company members ages 5-18. Cost is $14. Show times: March 24th 2:30pm & 7:00pm, March 25th 2:30pm. For More Information Call: (518) 798-9663
This week we have some "artfull" play, wiggling and giggling, language learning and two fun ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day for little ones!
1. Artfull Afternoons are on Wednesdays during the school year for children ages 6-12 with adult chaperone at The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls. Drop-in between 1:30-4:30PM, each week children are invited to learn about a specific artist, work of art, or style from the Museum's permanent collection. Children will explore a variety of artistic mediums as they create their own Hyde-inspired masterpiece!
2. On Thursday from 4:30-5:30 head to the Saratoga Springs Public Library for Hola La! In "Pepa en el invierno/Pepa in the winter," Pepa has a snow day! She wakes up in her house, gets her winter clothes on and plays outside in the snow with her friend "Manolo" the snowman! Pepa and Manolo will have fun on Pepa's snow day playing winter sports, building an igloo, and enjoying hot chocolate by a cozy fire! Practical language will be incorporated throughout the session, which can easily be reinforced at home. For children in grades K-2. Program meets March 1, 8, 15 and 22. Contact them at 584-7860 for more information.
3. On Friday from 10 - 11:30am check out Wiggle and Giggle at The Children's Museum at Saratoga! A special time for younger children to learn what they can do with their bodies through structured group activities and guided free play; kids can crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll bolls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of instruments. This is a great opportunity to meet new friends and get some exercise!
4. Also on Friday from 9:45 AM-11:15 AM it is Homeschool Friday: Celtic Art at go! where children discover the world at 89 Warren Street in Glens Falls. Join artist Kimberly Leahey to explore the Celtic Art, just in time for St. Patrick's Day! Call 518-793-2773 for details and registration. Cost: $5 museum admission plus $5 program fee; Ages 5-12. Registration required by March 14
5. On Saturday, March 17th at 11am head to Saratoga Spa State Park for their St. Patrick's Day "Leprechaun's Gold" Treasure Hunt. Celebrate St. Patrick's Day and embark on an old fashioned map and compass treasure hunt for a sneaky leprechaun's hidden pot of gold. Children will learn the four cardinal directions and how to use a compass. Each participant will receive part of the hidden "gold" and have the chance to make an Irish-themed craft at the end. Recommended for children aged 5-10. Registration is required. Fee is $3 per person or $5 per family. Please call 518-584-2000 Ext. 150 to register.
On tap for this week: a delicious wine dinner benefit, book club, live music, restaurant week and St. Patrick's Day! Make sure you find a sitter because there are so many fun things to check out, here are my Top Five picks!
1. On Wednesday, March 14th at 6:30pm head to Beekman Street Bistro at 62 Beekman St. in Saratoga Springs for a special wine dinner to benefit Saratoga P.L.A.N. Cost is $50 per person and you can enjoy expertly paired Spanish Wines and Spanish food prepared by chef and owner Tim Meaney. Space is limited, please call for a reservation (518) 581-1816. Menu includes Mussels with Saffron and Grilled Pork Loin with Paprika. For More Information Call: (518) 581-1816.
2. Books and Tea is on Thursday, March 15th at 3:30pm. The Saratoga Springs Public Library's reading group will meet this month to discuss Brooklyn: A Novel, by Colm Toibin. Books and Tea is an ongoing program that runs from September through June, admission is free.
3. Saratoga County Restaurant Week starts this Friday, March 16th and runs until Sunday, March 25th. Get a 3-Course dinner for just $20.12 at over 40 participating Saratoga County restaurants during Saratoga County Restaurant Week! Reservations are strongly suggested during Saratoga County Restaurant Week and can be made by calling the restaurant of your choice.
4. Also on Friday check out The Refrigerators at Vapor at Saratoga Casino and Raceway at 8pm. No Cover Charge. Doors open at 8pm. Bands take the stage at 9pm. For More Information Call: 518-584-2110.
5. My number one spot to celebrate St. Patrick's Day is The Irish Times Pub and Restaurant! They have pulled out all the stops and will make your 2012 St. Paddy's day the best ever! Live music, Irish dancers, and bagpipers, plus they will have green party hats, beads and more! They are also offering a traditional Irish meal with an Irish buffet all day starting at 11:30 AM. There will be corned beef and cabbage, Irish bangers n' mash, Celtic chicken curry and shepherds pie. For More Information Call: (518) 583-0003.
This week your little ones can get their hands dirty, learn about a new letter, experience some opera and create their own works of art!
1. On Monday, March 5th stop by The Wonder Room in Ballston Lake. Drop in play will be from 9am-2pm and their creative art studio will be open all day. It's MESSY MONDAY so be ready to get your hands dirty! Contact them at 518-602-0237 for more information.
2. Join them at the Children's Museum at Saratoga for Alphabet Soup on Wednesday, March 7th from 10:30 - 11:00 am. Starting with the letter A, each week kids will learn a new letter of the alphabet through crafts, games, stories, songs and more. This multidimensional language experience is a fun way to reinforce early literacy in preschoolers!
3. On Friday, March 9th at 11am get ready to get your hands dirty at Saratoga State Park with their class: Vermicomposting - Composting With Worms. Are you interested in composting your kitchen scraps but don't want to deal with the hassle of a backyard compost pile? This class will focus on small-scale, indoor/outdoor composting using worms for individuals and families. They will talk about what foods are compostable, how to set up a vermicomposting bin, and how to maintain it. All ages welcome. Registration is required. Fee is $3 per person or $5 per family. Please call 518-584-2000 Ext. 150 to register.
4. On Saturday, March 10th at the Saratoga Springs Public Library they will have "Little Red's Most Unusual Day", an operatic version of the story of "Little Red Riding Hood" based on opera music by J. Offenbach and G. Rossini. In this retelling, Forest Ranger Dudley is too shy to ask Little Red's mom, the widow Hood, to the Forest Ranger Ball. Appropriate for all ages, space is limited. Starts at 11am. For more information call them at 584-7860 opt. 3.
5. Also on Saturday check out the Saturday Morning Workshops for kids aged 6-14 at The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls. From 10:30am to noon, kids can learn about the Artist of the Week: Seurat. Kids will see a French artist's work and will make an inspired work of art in the Art Studio. For More Information Call: 518-792-1761.
This week for the Top FAB 5 events there is a fabulous wine dinner, an educational seminar about health and fertility, a fun yoga benefit and two ways to help out two fantastic organizations while having a great time!
1. On Tuesday, March 6th join them at The Village Pizzeria & Ristorante for an evening of food wine & culture provided by wine expert Sandra Foster and Kobrand sales reps. The event starts at 6pm and the cost is $65 per person. For more information call (518) 882-9431.
2. On Wednesday, March 7th at Life Stylized Center, 444 Broadway, Suite 302, Saratoga Springs there will be an information-packed evening and an opportunity to learn about: The Hidden Causes of Infertility, What is Necessary for Conception, How to Assess Your Fertility Today and How to Increase Your Fertility. From 6:30 to 8pm, cost is $20 per person. For more information visit http://fertility.eventbrite.com/ .
3. There will be a Yoga Benefit for the Saratoga Springs Skatepark at Spring Street Gallery on Saturday, March 10th at 2pm, with Susan Paschal and Julie Bell. Check out http://ondecksaratoga.wordpress.com/ for more information.
4. On Saturday from 7pm to 12am at the Hall of Springs in Saratoga Springs is the Passion for a Cure Arthritis Ball. The evening will include hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, formal dinner, silent and live auctions, entertainment by the Audiostars, and much, much more. Cost is $150; $100 for age 35 and under. Contact the Arthritis Foundation office at 518-456-1203 for tickets.
5. Also on Saturday from 6:30 to 10:30pm is the Practically Poppin' Party at Saratoga National Golf Club to benefit The Children's Museum at Saratoga. This elegant adult evening includes Open Bar from 6:30-7:30 with their complimentary signature drink "Poppin' Punch", Gourmet Buffet Dinner, Passed Hors d'oeuvres, and the Supercalifraglistic Silent Auction. Musical Entertainment provided by Primrose Lane Barbershop Quartet and the Capital Region's Kix Band. Open seating is $75 per person, $140 per couple. Call the Children's Museum at 584-5540 for more information.
« February 2012 |
Blog Home |
| April 2012 »
Leave a Comment