May 2012 Archives
The weekend holds all of our best bets this week and there are so many great events to choose from! There is a trail building event, a wildlife festival, a kids arts festival, GE Kids in Free days at The Great Escape and my favorite event of the week-the Cantina Kids Fun Run on Sunday!
1. On Saturday, June 2nd head to Hennig Preserve where Saratoga P.L.A.N. will host an outdoor trail-building event to celebrate National Trails Day. Volunteers can help on either or both of two shifts: from 9:30am until noon or 1:00pm until 3:30pm. Lunch and drinks will be provided. Those who come out to this family-friendly event will help open 2 more miles of trail on the 606-acre Hennig Preserve, bringing the trail length to 5 miles. To register for the Hennig Preserve National Trails Day event, email Andy Fyfe at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 587-5554.
2. Also on Saturday is the Wilton Wildlife Festival from 10am to 3pm at Camp Saratoga on Scout Road. Enjoy presentations with live hawks and owls, Karner blue butterfly walks, live reptile and amphibian displays, and pond exploration with dip nets. There will also be lots of hands-on nature crafts, the fire tower will be open, and since it is National Trails Day, lots of opportunties to explore the trails! There will be a BBQ run by a boy scout troop available for a small charge. For More Information Call: 518-450-0321.
3. On Saturday from noon to 4pm the 18th Annual Kids' Arts Festival returns to Jay Street in Schenectady with 2 entertainment stages, fun-filled performances and over 25 FREE, hands-on arts activities for pre-school and young school age children to enjoy! Admission is free and your kids are sure to love the live entertainment, including puppets, music, dancing and wandering street performers throughout the day, a great way to introduce your little ones to the arts. Presented by: Schenectady County Initiative Program. Contact information: Karen Johnson, (518) 382-3884 x 114. *Parking is free. Food will be available - prices vary.
4. The Great Escape and GE will offer FREE admission Saturday, June 2nd to children under 12 who come to the theme park with a full-price paying adult as part of their GE Kids in Free Days!
5. On Sunday bring the whole family to the fifth Annual Cantina Kids Fun Run where the whole family can run or walk to support the Pediatric Emergency Services at Saratoga Hospital. Starting at 9am in the parking lot next to Cantina, 430 Broadway, Saratoga Springs. Cost is $15 per runner. You can choose from two courses: The 1/4 mile course is a short loop goes around the block where Cantina is located. The 1 mile course loops through downtown Saratoga and Congress Park. Both courses will start and finish at the Cantina parking lot. Strollers welcome! Medals will be given to all runners up to age 12. The first three boy and girls to finish from each course will recieve trophies. After the race enjoy music, a bounce house, face painting & healthy snacks in the Cantina parking lot. All runners, family and friends are welcome! For More Information Call: 518-583-8779
Benefit season is ramping up in Saratoga, and this week you'll have the opportunity to help out a bunch of fantastic local organizations while having a fabulous time! Before you hit the benefits, check out Saratoga Paint and Sip for a fun and relaxing night creating your own masterpiece. Then on tap we have Models and MIngling, a benefit for a local child battling cancer, a chance to boogy off Broadway and bowl for scholars, so find your sitter and hit the town!
1. On Wednesday, May 30th head to Saratoga Paint and Sip Studio at 80 Henry Street in Saratoga Springs from 7 to 9pm where a local artist will walk you through their 'Paso Fino Stallion' painting while you sip on beer or wine from their in-studio bar. Reserve your seat today by visiting their website or calling the studio! Absolutely no painting experience necessary! For more information call 518-584-8244.
2. On Thursday, May 31st head to Saratoga Polo Field on Bloomfield Road for The Adult & Senior Center of Saratoga's biggest fundraising event of the year! Music, Models, Mingling & More will be an exciting and unique evening featuring gourmet foods, specialty cocktails, a mini-fashion show, a cigar gazebo, an extensive silent auction and live dance music performed by Grand Central Station. From 7 to 10pm, cost is $100. For More Information Call: 518-584-1621.
3. On Friday, June 1st the Paddock Lounge in downtown Saratoga Springs will be hosting a Benefit in honor of Parker Hayes starting at 6pm. Parker is a 9yr. old boy who has just been diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, he and his family are locals and are in need of the love and support from their community. They are accepting a $20.00 donation at the door that will go directly to Parker and his family. There will be a raffle and a silent auction that will be held at the Benefit.The Paddock will be featuring their specialty cocktail menu and will make a donation per drink sold from the menu. There will be complementary food donated and live entertainment from "The Remainders." All proceeds raised from the Parker Hayes Benefit will go directly to Parker and his family.
4. Head to the Historic Victorian Pool on Friday, June 1st for Double H Ranch Partners - Boogie Off Broadway from 7 to 11pm. Join the Partners of Saratoga for An Evening in Paradise themed Boogie Off Broadway cocktail party. This years event will be held at the Historic Victoria Pool and include savory cuisine catered by Catherine's in the Park, an open bar, and dancing with "Groove Therapy". We invite you to dress in Chic Island Attire and dance the night away all to support the campers of the Double H. To register visit the Double H Ranch webpage or call 518-696-5921 ext. 269. Cost: $75 Partners Members/ $95 Non-Partners Members.
5. Saturday, June 2nd will be the Fourth Annual Bowling for Scholars at The Saratoga Strike Zone, 32 Ballston Ave, Saratoga Springs from 10am to 10pm. The Fourth Annual Bowling for Scholars at the Saratoga Strike Zone will be held on Saturday, June 2. Half-price bowling all day, Gutterball Bash Cocktail Party at 7 PM, with music by 2's Company, food by Hattie's Restaurant. Gutterball Bash Tickets, $75. All proceeds benefit the students in Saratoga Sponsor-A-Scholar (SSAS). SSAS is a 503c3 corporation that helps economically disadvantaged students realize their dream of going to college. The organization provides academic tutoring, mentors, help with college preparation during the last three years of high school and a financial stipend during college. For More Information Call: 518-587-2472.
This week is pure kid heaven: free pizza, a carnival, parades, bike riding and pony rides!
1. Tuesday at Uno is Family Night. Kids eat free! That's right, FREE! 12 and under every Tuesday from the children's menu! For More Information Call: 518-792-5399.
2. Also on Tuesday, May 22nd from 6 to 10pm the Gillette Carnival Midway comes to the Halfmoon Town Hall. Admission is free and 20% of all ride tickets sold goes to The American Cancer Society Relay For Life event to be held at the Shenendehowa High School on June 8th. Family fun - rides - food -fun! For More Information Call: 518-376-8680.
3. Greenwich is having their annual Memorial Day Parade on Friday, May 25th at 6pm. The V.F.W. and American Legion sponsor Greenwich's annual parade; which steps off at 6pm from the bridge and ends at the VFW on Abeel Ave with a final ceremony, followed by food & refreshments; the public is welcome. For more info call (518) 692-2753.
4. On Saturday, May 24th check out the King Brothers Dairy Farm Store Open House from 11am to 3pm! Come enjoy a free pony or horseback ride, browse the country store and get a certificate for a free riding lesson! Make sure to try their chocolate milk while you're there, it's the best! Admission is free, they are located on King Road in Schuylerville.
5. May is national Bike Safety Month! Saturday at the Children's Museum at Saratoga bring your bike and helmet to practice bike safety while driving around their outdoor obstacle course. Weather permitting. And don't forget about Coasters for a Cause, a fundraiser that helps you save money, plus helps the museum raise money! The Children's Museum at Saratoga is pairing up with The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom to help sell tickets for the 2012 season. Normally, tickets are $50 each... but if you purchase them through The Children's Museum, tickets are only $22.50! Incredible! Not only that, but each ticket you purchase also earns the museum five dollars. Contact them at 518-584-5540 for more information.
This week we've got some opportunities to learn about women's health and parenting a daughter with autism, a Spring Fling for a great organization, a night for all the Papatogians out there and some wood fired pizza and wine!
1. On Tuesday, May 22nd head to the Halfmoon Public Library to talk to local women about Women's Health. From 6:30 to 8pm, the discussion will have an emphasis on identifying women's health concerns such as PMS, menopause, overall health and wellness, bone health and heart health. Free blood pressure checks will be provided by a nurse. For More Information Call: 518-368-9311.
2. On Wednesday, May 23rd the Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council will have their 23rd Annual May Day Spring Fling dinner and auction at the Canfield Casino in Saratoga Springs from 5-9pm. This fun evening includes a seated dinner and complimentary drinks provided by Longfellows Restaurant, Hotel and Conference Center and The Olde Bryan Inn, as well as silent and live auctions. This is the major fundraising event for the Saratoga County EOC. EOC is a not for profit organization that has helped low income residents of Saratoga County since 1973. Reservations are $80 per person. Reservations for the event are limited and the event has sold out the past couple of years. For more information or for reservations contact Dottie Sellers at 518-587-3158 ext 11 or email@example.com.
3. Author Eileen Riley-Hall will be at East Line Books to sign copies of her new book, "Parenting Girls on the Autism Spectrum" on Thursday, May 24th from 4-6pm.
This book is a celebration of all the wonderful and unexpected gifts that having a daughter on the autism spectrum can bring to a family. Each chapter offers encouragement and guidance on issues such as school, friendships, meltdowns, special gifts, family relationships, therapies and interventions. Having daughters on the spectrum presents unique and rewarding challenges and this book is packed with friendly advice and real life examples from a mother who has experienced it all first hand. For More Information Call: 518-371-4151.
4. Calling all Papatogians! Thursday night is Simplicity's First Men's Night Workshop from 6 to 7:30pm at Simplicity, 80 Henry Street, Saratoga Springs. At Simplicity, they believe every man is a HERO, and should be treated like one! Stop in and enjoy complimentary scalp massages, hot towel treatments, and consults. They will also have beer, wine, and hor'dourves! Reserve your spot now, space is limited. For More Information Call: (518) 583-7770.
5. The Saratoga Winery & Tasting Room is having Live Music, Wine & Wood Fired Pizza this Friday, May 25th from 6-9pm. Enjoy live music from the Seth Warden Duo and handcrafted wine paired with gourmet wood fired pizzas! For More Information Call: 518-584-WINE(9463).
This week's highlights include some amazing kids activities for Food Revolution Day at the Farmers' Market, a children's book signing by a local author, and the awesome SPAC Rock & Run!
1. Have a little one that loves puzzles? Head to the Children's Museum at Saratoga for Puzzle Me This! from 3-4:30 on Thursday, May 17th. Try their giant U.S. state puzzle, use different blocks to build structures, figure out gear puzzles, and much more! You may never see this many puzzles in one room again!
2. From 6-8pm it is Girls Night for teens at the Saratoga Springs Public Library on Thursday. The third Thursday of each month is Girls Night Out! Trevor, Teen Librarian, and any guys hanging out in the Teen Room will go elsewhere, while Sarah Derven, Teen Librarian, and the girls will own the Teen Room for a couple of guy-free hours! Activities, music, books, games, computers, crafts, spa-stuff will all be part of the evening. Contact Sarah Derven at 584-7860 x239 for more information.
3. This Saturday, May 19th local children's book author, current NBC Sports reporter and former #1 world ranked professional female golfer, Dottie Pepper will be in Saratoga promoting her new book Bogey Tees Off at Impressions of Saratoga from 5-8pm. Co-author, Scott Fuller, and illustrator, Kenneth Templeton will also be in attendance. Food and refreshments to be provided by Gaffney's Restaurant. Bogey Tees Off is the story about an ambitious range golf ball, Bogey Ballton, who is tired of his dead end job at the practice range. His fate changes when John the Ball Washer helps Bogey to be Truthful with himself and pursue his life's passion to become a pro tour golf ball. This is the first book in the Bogey series. Co-authored by Dottie Pepper & Scott Fuller, and Illustrated by Kenneth Templeton, Bogey offers a unique way for kids and families to be introduced to the game of golf while promoting life lessons and values that are applicable on and off the golf course. If you are unable to attend and would like a signed copy, please call Impressions of Saratoga at 518-587-0666 to place your order or for more information on the event.
4. Check out the great kids activities happening at the Saratoga Farmers' Market this Saturday for the Food Revolution! Upcoming Saturday May 19th: Special food education activities will include a scavenger hunt and basil planting activity for children, and an information table with Slow Food Saratoga Region, Eat Smart NY, and other food-related programs. Where else will FRD activities occur? Use the "Find An Event" tool at foodrevolutionday.com to locate nearby activities, or visit the FRD table at the market on May 12 and 16 for the complete schedule. You can also follow @FoodRevSaratoga on Twitter or email the local event coordinator: DeborahCzech@gmail.com.
5. Sunday is SPAC's 5K Rock & Run! The region's fastest growing 5K, is back again in 2012! Live bands energize the route through our treasured Spa State Park. Start on the path that runs through SPAC, and run the course through the Spa State Park and around the golf course, while jamming to live music all along the way! Finish back on the lawn at SPAC where you started.The course is a certified 5k, and is relatively flat. The first 750 pre-registrants will get the 2012 performance, moisture whicking shirt. There will be a kids race at 10am, with the adult 5k going off at 10:30am. Stick around afterwards for the post race party with live music, refreshments, and children's activities. Race proceeds will benefit SPAC's Classical Programming and its Vivienne Anderson Children's Program. Cost: Early $27 - Day Of $32
This week we've got a chance to check out a real life Storage War, take part in the Food Revolution, Wine & Brews for a good cause, the Preakness and some great live music!
1. Are you a fan of Storage Wars? Now you can check it out for yourself at the Young Life Storage Auction on Thursday, May 17th at 6pm. Admission is free at the auction being held at Affordable Storage in Malta. Up to 10 units will be stocked, staged and ready for sale. All proceeds benefit Young Life of the Capital Region. For More Information Call: 518-782-0801.
2. There's a Food Revolution going on this Saturday, May 19th! The Jamie Oliver Foundation is launching its first-ever Food Revolution Day, a global day of action to inspire, educate, and empower people everywhere to "stand up for real food." The Saratoga Springs Public Library has organized a panel discussion made up of several of the many regional contributors to the real and local food movement. This is a great opportunity for the public to learn from the people that dedicate their lives to the concept of the Food Revolution Day--every day. The panel discussion moderator will be Saratoga Springs' Food Revolution Day Ambassador, Deborah Czech, from Miles Ahead Communications PR & Marketing. In addition to the panel discussion each group will have information available about their role in our local food community. Take this opportunity to discover some new recipe ideas, taste some food samples, and borrow one of the many books, DVDs, or magazines available at your library related to the topic of Food Revolution Day. From 2-4pm in the Dutcher Community Room at the Saratoga Springs Public Library.
3. The Preakness is on Saturday too! Starting at 2pm Vapor Night Club at Saratoga Casino and Raceway will have a festival-food menu featuring pulled-pork sandwiches, tenders, dogs and more! Plus, great drink specials all day. And you can watch the race on their 16' screen.
4. Also happening on Saturday from 3-6pm is the May Wine & Brews Under the Sunshine - Benefiting the Ben Osborn Memorial Fund at The Westside Grille in Queensbury. Come enjoy a tasting event at The Westside Grille featuring wines and brews from different wineries and breweries. The Westside Grille will be featuring hor d'oeuvres pairings with each station as well as entertainment. A great event for a wonderful cause! Cost: $20.00 Advance Tickets, $25.00 at the door. For More Information Call: (518) 793-6606 x350.
5. Saturday night head to my favorite martini spot, 9 Maple, to catch the Pat Attanasio Quartet. Starting at 9pm, Pat Attanasio on Electric Violin and Guitar, Frank Cross on Keyboard, Dave Ochal on Bass and Joe Bernard on Drums. For More Information Call: (518)-583-2582.
A great deal for date night, a compelling documentary to check out, the Chef Challenge and some fabulous Mother's Day specials are all on tap for this week, check it out!
1. Plan your date night for Tuesday this week because on Tuesday night (May 8th) at Wheatfields Restaurant & Bar in Saratoga, it's 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine when Two of you Dine! Purchase two entrees and receive 50% off of your bottle of wine. What a great way to take advantage of Wheatfields Restaurant & Bar's Wine Spectator Award winning Wine List! For More Information Call: 518-587-0534.
2. On Thursday, May 10th check out the Big Brothers Big Sisters of The Capital Region Chef Challenge! Saratoga vs Albany at 6pm at the Hampton Inn in Saratoga Springs. The Capital Region is home to some great eats that's for sure, but what happens when you put Albany vs. Saratoga in a battle of the chefs? On May 10th, we will find out as two top chefs from the Capital Region, Chef AJ Jayapal of The Brown Derby in Albany and Chef John Ireland from Panza's in Saratoga Springs, take sides and compete for the title and the chance to defend their title next year! In addition, area restaurants will be showcasing their cuisine. Guests in attendance will receive complimentary wine, champagne and desserts and will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite - People's Choice Award - from among the restaurants. Proceeds will benefit Big Brother Big Sisters of the Capital Region. General Reservations will be $50 per person and Honorary Committee reservations will be $100 per person. For more information please call Jami Thompson 862-1250 ext. 21. Cost: General Reservations $50 per person / Honorary Committee $100 per person.
3. On Saturday, May 12th from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM check out the Razimus Jewelry Launch Party at Violet's & Stella's of Saratoga! Enter to win a custom piece of Razimus Jewelry when you attend the launch party. For an additional chance to win, shop with your mom (celebrate all Moms this Mother's Day weekend) and you both can enter together for an additional chance to win! 518 Backspin Entertainment will be spinning from 2pm-5pm. Come join the fun! You can also enjoy a free magnetic Stackable bracelet (a $28 value) with your Razimus Jewelry purchase over $50!
4. Sunday is Mothers' Day! Bring the whole family to the Mothers Day Brunch at Saratoga National. Cost: $38 adults, $18 kids ages 5 to 10. Brunch buffet 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. A-la-carte dinner 5 to 9:30 p.m
5. You can also have a special dinner for Mom at the Mother's Day Dinner at Maestro's. Maestro's at the Van Dam will be offering a 3 course dinner for $35 with children's items for $8. For More Information Call: (518) 580-0312.
This week we've got National Children's Book Week, Mother's Day fun, ballet, Slingbabies and a family friendly fun run and 5K!
1. Monday kicks off National Children's Book Week! And starting Monday through Saturday, May 12th at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library, The Friends of the Library invite Library District parents and grandparents of a newborn (up to six months old) to join in celebrating National Children's Book Week (May 5 - May 12) with "Books for Babies". If you are a Library District parent or grandparent of a newborn please stop at the Circulation Desk of the CPH Library at 475 Moe Rd, Clifton Park during the week of May 6-12 to receive a special free gift packet complements of Friends of the CPH Library containing among other materials, a children's board book, library card application, nutritional information and tips on reading. For More Information Call: 371-8622.
2. Tuesday for Tots at the Children's Museum at Saratoga has a Mother's Day theme this week! Stop in for either session on Tuesday, May 8th from 10am-12pm or 1pm-3pm for some Mother's Day Fun with your little one!
3. Slingbabies of the Capital District meets in the Glasby Room at the Saratoga Springs Public Library on Wednesday, May 9th from 10am to 12:30. For more info contact Michelle Ducrot at 703-508-6203.
4. Have a ballet loving little one? Check out the Saratoga City Ballet Spring Performance on Friday, May 11th and Saturday, May 12th at the Skidmore College Dance Theatre. Saratoga City Ballet Company presents "Carnival of the Animals" and other works at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 11, and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Saturday, May 12 at the Skidmore College Dance Theater in Saratoga Springs. This family-friendly ballet performance includes a classical work, "Pas de Quatre" showcasing the company's four seniors; a modern piece choreographed by SCB alumn Christy Williams; and the whimsical story ballet "Carnival of the Animals" set to music by Camille Saint-Saens. For More Information Call: 587-8760. Tickets are $13-$19.
5. Saturday is also the 1st Annual Emma Foundation 5K & Kids Fun Run supported by The Waldorf School of Saratoga Springs. Proceeds go to benefit the Emma Foundation. Kids will start at 8:30 AM, it is a 1/2 mile race run on York Avenue from Nelson Ave. to East Ave. and back to Nelson Ave. All kids will receive an award. Cost: $20 for general entry and Kids Run free. 5K Run Awards - No Duplicates: Overall 1st through 3rd, Age groups, Male and Female, 19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+. Registration & Packet Pickup: 7:30 - 8:45 AM at the Waldorf School of Saratoga Springs, 62 York Avenue, Saratoga Springs. For More Information Call: (518) 584-7643.
« April 2012 |
Blog Home |
| June 2012 »
Leave a Comment