This week is all about the ballet at SPAC, check out Opening Night and the Gala this week for two amazing not-to-miss events. We’ve also got some hot competition at Saratoga Polo Association, a chance to Light Up the Night and a Speakeasy party! Get all the details right here and start making plans!
1. The world class New York City Ballet is coming to SPAC and don’t miss the All Balanchine Opening Night on Tuesday, July 10th starting at 8pm. The works presented on Tuesday will include Balanchine’s iconic Firebird. Set to music by Igor Stravinsky, Firebird was one of Balanchine’s first creations for New York City Ballet, premiering in 1949. The work, based on a Russian folk tale, centers on the story of a magical glowing Firebird that is both a blessing and a curse to its captor. Because Balanchine chose to use the orchestral suite rather than the complete three-act score, he simplified the story and emphasized the mythical elements of the Firebird’s character. For More Information Call: (518) 584-9330.
2. Friday, July 13th there will be a Speakeasy Party at the Batcheller Mansion, 20 Circular Street in Saratoga Springs from 6-9pm. The mansion will be hosting this event in light of the recent discovery of documents that reveal that the Batcheller family blatantly disregarded the laws of prohibition during the 1920s. The documents also showed that several other prominent families in Saratoga held house parties on a regular basis. Included in the parties were several owners of the great homes on North Broadway and Union Avenue. Parties were held whenever the thirteenth of the month fell on a Friday, so the Batcheller Mansion will be hosting a party on July 13th in admiration of the lawbrekers of yesteryear. Party goers are encouraged to dress in the garb of the roaring twenties, and must be 21 to attend. Attendance is limited so those who want to join in the fun have to call in advance and reserve a spot, learn the password and which door to use. For More Information Call: 518-584-7012. Cost is $25 per person.
3. Also on Friday is the Light Up the Night Event at Saratoga National Golf Club. Light up the Night is a premiere summer event that supports the Department of Emergency Medicine at Albany Medical, the region’s lifeline for emergency and trauma care. This events features fine cuisine provided by the award-winning executive chefs at Prime, champagne and speciality drinks, a grand fireworks display, and live music by the New York Players. Tickets are $150 per person. For registration contact the Albany Med Foundation at 518-262-8892, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. One of my favorite events of the summer is on Saturday, July 14th, it’s the New York City Ballet – Gala Night at Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Each year the Annual Ballet dazzles locals and visitors with the gorgeous dancing and an elegant atmosphere. This year, Vogue named the Saratoga Ballet Gala as an event that was not to be missed. The noted that the choreography by Peck promises to be spectacular. The Gala Lawn Party – Hosted by SPAC’s Junior Committee has An Evening at the Moulin Rouge them this year! They will have live music & a picnic contest from 6-8pm, the lawn party is BYOB – all cocktails, food & drink you want! Post Performance – Party like you’re in Paris with a Moulin Rouge costume contest and FIREWORKS! Tickets $50 in advance $55 night of. For questions or to make a reservation to the Ballet Gala, please call SPAC at 518-584-9330.
5. Finish up your weekend at Saratoga Polo Association on Sunday night, where the match starts at 5:30pm. During the match on the clubhouse side will be the Adirondack Appliance Cast Iron Chef competition where chefs from The Wishing Well, Max London’s, Mazzone Hospitality and Mouzon House will be competing for the chance to be in the final competition at the Wine and Food Fest at SPAC in the fall.