This week we’ve got some great opportunities to help out worthy causes in our community, fab live music downtown and some cinema under the stars!
1. Thursday, August 30th at 7pm Simplifying Lives, for a cause is holding its 2nd Annual “Party to Make a Difference” at Vapor Night Club in Saratoga Springs. Last year was a huge success thanks to the generosity and support of our wonderful community and this year will be bigger and better! Simplifying Lives, for a cause is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to help relieve stress associated with cancer treatment by providing free cleaning services to men, women, and parents of children undergoing treatment for cancer in Schenectady, Saratoga & Albany Counties. Simplifying Lives also works with local referral partners to provide discounted rates on other important household services. Their goal is to maximize their patients’ quality of life by making sure they have the assistance they need from reputable and insured businesses at a rate they can afford. All funds raised at this exciting event will directly support Simplifying Lives, for a cause and the services they provide. For More Information Call: 518-584-2110. Cost is $5.
2. On Friday check out Saratoga Springs-based band MaryLeigh and the Fauves at Putnam Den for a FREE SHOW at 9pm! Singer/ Songwriter MaryLeigh Roohan (vocals, guitar), Meagan Duffy (lead guitar), Zachary Edwards (drums) and David Farnsworth (bass) join forces to create the band, with a variety of influences, this dynamic group can rock a stage or a coffee shop with their catchy melodies and intelligent lyrics. With a fresh sound and an amazing stage presence and energy, MaryLeigh and the Fauves is an act you don’t want to miss! For More Information Call: (518) 584-8066.
3. Check out some Outdoor Cinema on Friday, August 31st where they’ll be showing Buena Vista Social Club at City Park, Corner of Bay & Glen Streets in Glens Falls. Admission is free. Celebrating the art of film with free outdoor screenings all summer long. Outdoor cinema takes place at dusk in Glens Falls City Park every Thursday and Friday night in July and August.
4. On Saturday head out to run for a great cause. 5 for fiVe is a 5k memorial run for Louis Butts, V (“LB”). LB was diagnosed with MPS-I at 8 months old. Shortly after his first birthday, LB lost his battle against MPS. This run is coordinated by his parents in an effort to raise awareness and fund research. All proceeds will go to the National MPS Society, a non-profit organization aimed at helping families and finding a cure. The race begins at the Warming Hut in scenic Saratoga Springs State Park and continues through the trails and park paths with mile markers and water stations. Don’t want to run? Walkers are welcome! Enjoy food, refreshments, entertainment, and a chance to win raffle prizes after the race. Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers in each division. This event promises to be fun for the whole family. For More Information Call: 518-451-6740. Race Day Registration begins at 8:30AM, Race begins at 10:00 AM from the Warming Hut. 5k Pre-Register: $20.00, 1 Mile Walk Pre-Register: $18.00, Race Day Registration $28.00.
5. On Sunday and Monday don’t miss the 2012 Final Stretch Music Festival, the last weekend of the 2012 racing season. Each year the festival brings live music to seven locations throughout the city for two nights, and the performances are FREE! From 7 pm – 11 pm, Downtown Saratoga Springs. For more information, call the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce at (518) 584-3255.