Many of the women (by women I mean those over the age of 35 — maybe even 40) who come to see me for a facial treatment have never had one before. Ladies: We have to realize that taking care of ourselves enables us to be better caretakers and that we can’t wake up at 59 and want to make up for all the years that we didn’t do anything to help ourselves! After the facial, these same women are amazed how different they feel. The benefits of having a facial go way beyond the idea of pampering. These benefits include:
1. Increased liquid tissue flow, i.e. blood, to the facial skin which brings nourishment and takes away toxins and debris.
2. Deep cleansing of the pores boosts the skin’s ability to take in hydration and vitamins and also helps the pores to remain smaller and tighter. Think of it this way: the pore is like a grocery bag. When empty, it’s flat. When it’s filled, it’s stretched out to it’s largest size and then can’t fit anything more in it — no matter how good it is for you.
3. Deep exfoliation aids in exposing newer cells and that makes our skin look bright and healthy.
4. All of the above plus facial massage aids in the body’s production of elastin and collagen, which helps with the skin’s aging process. Elastin is responsible for the skin’s elasticity and collagen plumps the tissues, allowing for firmness.
5. Time on the table equals destressing down time and helps us to feel better.
If you can manage it, it’s a good idea to have a professional facial every 4 – 6 weeks. If you can’t, try to have one at least once per season. What’s more — if you’ve never had a facial before and you mention this article, I’ll give you a $10 gift certificate towards that first facial to get your started!