Saratoga Food Pantry Out Of Food?
By: Destiny Malone | October, 27, 2010
"Food Pantry SOS - We have NOTHING on our shelves to give!"
This was the cry for help on the Franklin Community Center's Facebook page earlier this week. Lately the food pantry's shelves have been looking quite bare, and nonperishable food donations are needed now more than ever before.
A tough economy results in more new needy faces frequenting the Saratoga food pantry and fewer people that are able to give. The simple rule of supply and demand means empty shelves are becoming the norm at many local food pantries.
What Can You Do To Help?
Donate to the food pantry! Even if you don't have much to spare, something is better than nothing. Take a look through your home pantry and cupboards, and you might be surprised to find you have a lot more to give than you thought. If everybody gives a few items, the shelves can get stocked back up again, and your local food pantry can continue to meet the demand of local families in need.
Make it a habit! Anytime you buy the wrong product by mistake on your shopping trip, or maybe you buy extra of something and then realize you didn't really need it... give it to the food pantry! Go through your cupboards after each shopping trip and weed through. If you have any surplus, donate it! Locals in need will appreciate your generosity.
WHAT can I donate?
- Food! Food and other grocery items are always needed at the food pantry. Donate anything from canned goods to cereal boxes to baby diapers, peanut butter and jelly, pasta, toothpaste and more.
- Money! Monetary donations are also accepted at the Franklin Community Center.
- Your time! Volunteer at the center or just help spread the word among friends and family about the importance of donating.
WHERE can I donate?
- The Franklin Community Center is located at 10 Franklin Street in Saratoga Springs.
- You can also donate at the Wilton Mall, which is hosting an ongoing food drive to benefit the Franklin Community Center. Drop off your non-perishables to the Customer Service Desk (near the food court), and FCC volunteers pick up the donations weekly.
WHEN can I donate?
- The food pantry is open for donations year round, Monday - Friday, 8am-4pm (excluding holidays).
- The Wilton Mall is open Mon-Sat: 10am-9:30pm and Sun: 11am-6pm.
Franklin Community Center, Inc.
10 Franklin Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Phone: (518) 587-9826