Not able to get away this spring break? That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy an awesome “Staycation!” Check out our suggestions of things to do locally on your break – whether you are spending it with your kids or your college buddies!
1. Check out festivals in the area. If you have kids, they will enjoy sampling international food samplings of France, Italy, and China at the World Tour of Food, Fun & Facts in Latham NY! Or, take the family up to the Maple in April Festival in North Creek, NY, where you can learn about maple sugaring, try maple goodies and enjoy fun activities for the whole family. If you are seeking good adult fun, spend the weekend at Hunter Mountain Resort NY, April 27-28 and join in the festivities at TAP NY, the state’s longest running craft beer and fine food festival! Saratoga.com has all the information you need on area events!
2. Give back! Use your vacation time (and your children’s), to help your neighbors and teach your kids to help those in need. Attend one of several charity events in the area such as the American Red Cross Club of Siena College’s Saints Race for the Red 5K (local disaster relief). Help combat hunger, enjoy delicious chili and a silent auction at the 2nd Annual EMPTY BOWLS at the Wilton Food Shelter. April is National Child Abuse Prevention month, so make plans to attend the annual fundraiser: Celebrating the Power of Hope. Looking for volunteer opportunities? Donating your time is priceless to the not-for-profit organizations around Saratoga Springs NY! Help enrich the lives of individuals with disabilities at Saratoga Bridges, or volunteer your time to one of the many programs for families and individuals in need at the Franklin Community Center in Saratoga.
3. Discover the Adirondack Mountains! Spring’s cool temperatures make it ideal hiking weather. There are countless trails and mountains in this spectacular region with breathtaking views! Maybe you have considered hiking the 46 High Peaks of the Adirondacks- what better time to start knocking one or two of them out? And you can even get a few pointers from real 46ers!
4. Take a day or overnight trip to another nearby city. Just because you couldn’t vacation far for spring break this year doesn’t mean you can’t vacation at all! Drive a couple of hours north to Lake Placid NY and enjoy the High Peaks region for a day or two. If you are looking for a place to take the family; an overnight romantic getaway; or a place to gather your friends, the Courtyard Marriott Lake Placid offers the finest in Adirondack resort comfort. With a pool and double hot tubs, it’s also close to all Lake Placid attractions. Drive south to Albany NY and take in a concert or show, or escape from it all and experience quiet relaxation, if only for a night, in a quaint Adirondack inn!
5. Take some time for yourself! Now that school is closed for a little while and you have some free time, allow yourself time to de-stress. Interestingly enough, Saratoga Springs NY, is affectionately nicknamed the “Spa City.” Unwind at one Saratoga Spring’s spas and enjoy a massage or body treatment. Make your spring break “staycation” an opportunity to rejuvenate your skin with a facial or tanning. Visit a Saratoga nail salon and repair those dry cuticles and chipped tips with a manicure or pedicure.
6. Go camping! Pack your tent or hitch your RV and spend a night at a nearby Saratoga campground or head north for rustic Adirondack camping. Whether you are spending your break with family or friends, roasting marshmallows and chatting by the fire can be a fun way of getting out of the house! If you have kids….the backyard can work just as well!
7. Host a party! Maybe you can’t go to Cancun…but that doesn’t mean you can’t hold a fiesta at your house. Blend margaritas and buy all the fixins’ for a Mexican-inspired party. Have a bonfire and invite family and friends. Hire a local caterer to make planning quick and easy, or ask everyone to bring a dish to keep costs low. Choose one of several theme ideas: karaoke; the 80’s; luau; beer or wine tasting (everyone brings a different brew or name); and a carnival theme for the kids.
8. A pick-your-activity day! Maybe you have to work through your kid’s break, or perhaps you just don’t have the budget to travel this year. One way to make sure everyone gets a little something fun from the break is to give everyone a pick-your-activity day. It could be dinner after work at that chic new Saratoga restaurant! Maybe the kids have wanted to roller-skate, but you haven’t been able to make the time. Maybe another member of the family is into performing arts! Use this stay-at-home vacation opportunity to make the entire family engage in each other’s interests!
9. Museum hop! Saratoga and the surrounding region are abundant with museums! If any of your interests include science, history, art, cars, sports, dance, war, Adirondack life, and even firefighting – then there is a museum for you. The whole family will enjoy a visit to the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake NY! The museum’s huge campus features 22 modern galleries exhibiting the unique history of the Adirondacks and its people, featuring logging, boating, life in the great outdoors, and kids’ activities. The Children’s Museum of Saratoga combines fun and learning by offering interactive exhibits where children can learn about science and history in a kid-friendly environment. Also in Saratoga Springs is the National Museum of Dance & Hall of Fame, the only museum in the country dedicated only to dance! Other regional museums include: Schenectady Museum of Science and Innovation; Albany Pine Bush Preserve; National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in Saratoga Springs; Fort Ticonderoga in Ticonderoga NY; VIEW in Old Forge NY; and The Hyde Collection in Glens Falls NY – a historical house and fine arts museum featuring works by great artists such as Botticelli, Rembrandt, and Picasso.
10. Visit Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark! Fun for the whole family, or a group of friends, this year-round indoor waterpark boasts nine water attractions – including waterslides, surfing, a lazy river, and pool activities for the little kiddies! Enjoy a weekend getaway at the waterpark and Adirondack lodge in Queensbury, NY. The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge has 200 family suites , an arcade, and a variety of dining options.
Why not plan a spring break getaway right here in beautiful Saratoga Springs? With Saratoga lodging ranging from luxury hotels to budget friendly options, you can enjoy all that Saratoga has to offer! Book a hotel that has an indoor pool, and you won’t have to wait for warmer weather to splash around. Browse lodging specials to find the best deal.
What are you going to discover locally in Saratoga Springs NY or the surrounding region on your spring break?