What’s better than celebrating the arts with fun activities, food and live music on a warm July day? If that sounds good to you, swing by the Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College on July 11th for its second annual Frances Day. There are numerous events planned for all ages, and best, yet – they are free!
This event, in honor of the museum’s namesake, is sure to be a blast. Frances Young Tang was a 1961 Skidmore graduate, wife, mother and philanthropist who lost her battle with cancer in 1992. Frances Day honors Tang’s legacy of creativity and philanthropy with a day filled with fun, free activities for art lovers of every age.
- 12:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. Refreshments will be served inside the museum. After 3:00 P.M., food will be set up outdoors including watermelon, ice cream, and dishes from the grill!
- 12:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. If the weather permits, chalk drawing will take place outside! Artists are invited to make the sidewalk outside the museum’s entrance their canvas.
- 12:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Make your own fashion accessories inspired by Nicholas Krushenick’s Electric Soup.
- 12:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Use old books to create your own art. This activity was inspired by the process behind the work in Opener 29: Arturo Herrera — Day Before.
- 12:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Take part in a Scavenger Hunt and explore the museum.
- 12:00 P.M. – 1:00 P.M. Take a guided tour through the museum with the Dayton Director, Ian Berry. Learn about the artists and artwork in their summer exhibits.
- 1:00 P.M. – 2:00 P.M. Love to write? This activity is for you. Join the New York State Summer Writers institute for a short workshop session with Catherine Pond, who’s poems have appeared in the Boston Review, LA Review of Books and the Antioch Review!
- 2:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. In this rare event, the public can take a guided tour of the two places in the museum where the collections in the Tang are stored.
- 3:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M. Put down the iPhone! This tour is about walking through the world without taking pictures of it. Guided by Tim Davis, this walking tour will bring you around Skidmore’s Campus.
- 4:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M. Enjoy a live performance by Saratoga Springs band, Dryer, on the lawn of the museum!