Did you know the Town of Wilton is celebrating their bicentennial this year? It’s true, and to recognize this anniversary, the town has an awesome lineup of signature events planned that will be taking place throughout the rest of 2018. On April 20-22, residents and visitors can look forward to a special Bicentennial Historic Weekend Celebration featuring a wide variety of events and activities.
Kick-Off the Historic Weekend Celebration
The Historic Weekend Celebration will begin on Friday, April 20, at 6:00pm with a showcase of local civic groups and organizations at Wilton Mall’s fountain area, including the Saratoga-Wilton Elks Lodge #161, Wilton Rotary Club, Grant Cottage, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and many more.
This showcase will be followed by a reenactment of the First Town Meeting in Wilton Mall at 7:00pm, written by Karen Strack James and performed by Captain Giles Kellogg’s Company of Artillery. Refreshments will be served around the fountain area from 6:00pm-7:30pm.
To conclude the day, attendees will be invited to enjoy the premiere of the Wilton 200 documentary film produced by Tim Welch and Roy McDonald. This will be screened at the Wilton Bow Tie Cinema at 7:45pm, and seating will be available on a first-come first-serve basis.
Take Self-Guided Historic Site Tours
On Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22, the Self-Guided Historic Site Tours will run from 10:00am-3:00pm. Programs and maps will be available at the Wilton Heritage Museum during this time frame. The thirteen historic sites include:
- Wilton Heritage Museum (1871)
- Grant Cottage (1882)
- Ellsworth Cemetery (c. 1900)
- Old Gurn Springs Cemetery (Emerson) (c.1800)
- Gurn Springs Methodist Church (1885)
- Old Barn at Snook Kill (c. 1830)
- Dimmick Cemetery (c. 1800)
- South Wilton Cemetery (c. 1819)
- South Wilton Methodist Church (1854)
- Louden Cemetery (c. 1838)
- Brick Church Cemetery (c. 1850)
- Wilton Grange Hall (1923)
- Camp Saratoga at Wilton Wildlife Preserve & Park (1929)
Enjoy Activities at Camp Saratoga
Camp Saratoga on Scout Road in Wilton will host family-friendly and educational activities from 10:00am-3:00pm on both Saturday, April 21 and Sunday, April 22. Some of the highlights will include:
- Wilton 200 Kids’ Quest Hosted By the Wilton Boy Scout Troop 24 (Saturday and Sunday)
- School Projects & Travel Brochures Presented By Local 4th & 5th Graders (Saturday and Sunday)
- Tours of Camp Saratoga (Saturday and Sunday at 11:00am and 1:00pm)
- Cornell Hill Fire Tower Open For Climbing (Saturday and Sunday)
- Ribbon Cutting for the Wilton Bicentennial Trail (Sunday at Noon)
- And more!
For the full up-to-date schedule, visit the Wilton Bicentennial website >>
Will you be attending this Historic Weekend Celebration?