This summer, The Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College is offering a series of free, public tours of its current exhibitions. Check out the tours on Tuesdays from July 10th through August 28th and learn more about the incredible art that the Tang has on display!
Trained curators will lead the tours and offer in-depth explanations of the art, as well as behind-the-scene insights.
- July 10th – Dona Nelson: Stand Alone Paintings with Dayton Director Ian Berry
- July 17th – They’re, Their, There with the Eleanor Linder Winter ’43 Intern Rachel Rosenfeld ’18
- July 24th – Give a damn. with Mellon Collections Curator Rebecca McNamara
- July 31st – Dona Nelson: Stand Alone Paintings with Curatorial Assistant Molly Channon
- August 7th – Behind the Scenes Tour with Tang Guide E.B. Sciales
- August 14th – They’re, Their, There with the Eleanor Linder Winter ’43 Intern Rachel Rosenfeld ’18
- August 21st – Behind the Scenes Tour with Assistant Director for Curatorial Affairs and Malloy Curator Rachel Seligman
- August 28th – Give a damn. with Mellon Collections Curator Rebecca McNamara
Dates: Tuesdays from July 10th – August 28th
Location: Museum Atrium
Summer 2018 Exhibits
Dona Nelson: Stand Alone Paintings
Dona Nelson’s collection displays artwork over the past four decades and highlights her painting career. Her emphasis on abstract painting using unusual objects such as cheesecloth and modeling paste showcases a unique style that creates an immersive experience.
Give a damn.
Give a damn. is an installation born from the key question, “Why don’t you give a damn about your fellow man?” These artists invite onlookers to break down stereotypes and negative narratives and replace them with care for others. Explore more about this exhibit here.
They’re, Their, There
They’re, Their, There is a student-created exhibit focusing on sexuality and the reclamation of the word “queer” after the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s. This exhibit ponders the representation of queerness in mainstream media from costumes and photography to television and zines.
Other Upcoming Tang Events
Be sure to keep July 14th free for the Tang’s Frances Day — the museum’s annual open house with interactive activities, music, and behind-the-scenes tours. Check out the schedule of activities here.