Held in honor of the museum’s namesake, Frances Young Tang ’61, the Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery’s annual Frances Day is a summer celebration and community open house featuring arts, music, and hands-on activities. The 6th Annual Frances Day will take place on Saturday, June 15, and offer a packed schedule of free events from 1:00pm-5:00pm.
Join the Fun at Frances Day
The 2019 Frances Day will serve as the Tang Teaching Museum’s kickoff to summer fun. Visitors are welcome to stop by during the event and experience contemporary art exhibitions, art-making activities, food, tours, music, and more.
This year, the event’s featured artist is Elizabeth Streb and her dance company, Streb Extreme Action. Streb is the 2019 Skidmore Summer Dance Choreographer-in-Residence, and her exhibition Streb Action will be presented at the museum’s Wachenheim Gallery from June 1, 2019, through July 21, 2019. As part of this exhibition, the Streb Extreme Action dance company will open up its artistic process by turning the Tang into a rehearsal and performance space.
Multiple events at Frances Day will relate to Streb, and the celebration’s full schedule will include:
- 1:00pm – 4:00pm: Drop-in activities include a participatory sonic installation with artist
Kamau Amu Patton in his exhibition Tel_; print-making with Skidmore Summer Studio Art Program faculty members Sophie Isaak and Patrick Casey; button-making; a make-your-own obstacle course; sidewalk chalk drawing (outside); and a special #FrancesDay ’Gram Station for selfies and other Instagram-able photos
- 1:30pm: Behind-the-Scenes Collections Tour with Senior Museum Registrar Elizabeth Karp and Collections Registrar Jessica Lubniewski
- 2:00pm: Gallery talk and demonstration by Elizabeth Streb and Streb Extreme Action dance company members
- 2:30pm: Streb Workshop #1 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1:00pm in the museum)
- 3:00pm: Streb Workshop #2 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1:00pm in the museum)
- 3:00pm: Tour of Like Sugar with Curatorial Assistant Molly Channon
- 3:00pm – 5:00pm: Cookie decorating workshop (outside)
- 3:30pm: Streb Workshop #3 for 25 participants age 5 and older (sign-up begins at 1:00pm in the museum)
- 4:00pm: Raffle winner announced
- 4:01pm: Hot Club of Saratoga performs on the lawn
Frances Day is free to attend and a wonderful time to visit the Tang Teaching Museum with the family. The celebration will be held on Saturday, June 15, from 1:00pm-5:00pm. You can learn more by contacting the museum’s Visitors Services Desk at 518-580-8080.