Frances Day, the popular open house at the Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College, is back in 2022! On July 9th from 1-5 PM, visit the Tang for art exhibitions, tours, art-making activities, food, music, and tons more family-friendly fun.
Things to Do During Frances Day
This year during Frances Day, visitors can check out the featured exhibitions by Skidmore alumni, tour the Tang collection, enter to win a raffle, create their own art as they decorate a tote bag, create a felt landscape, use a button-making machine to create their own button, and more. Refreshments, including lemonade and cookies, will be available throughout the day.
At the end of the day, raffle winners will be announced, and then Pony in the Pancake will wrap up the day with a concert on the lawn. During the concert, you can enjoy empanadas and ice cream or purchase beer or wine while you relax and enjoy the band’s chill, surf-pop sound.
Frances Day is free and open to the public!
Frances Day Schedule
Drop-in Activities | 1 to 4 PM
- View the Alumni Invitational 5 exhibitions
- Draw with colored chalk on the sidewalks outside the Tang
- Blow bubbles and experience a bubble-making machine outside
- Create your own buttons with button-making machines
- Make a landscape out of felt, inspired by the work by Zaria Forman on view in Alumni Invitational 5
- Decorate your very own tote bag with a wealth of materials
- Participate in a community-based publication by creating your own artistic response to the exhibition Where Words Falter: Art and Empathy
- Explore the museum with a series of special Frances Day prompts
- Take a selfie in a specially designed selfie station
- Sign up for a raffle to win some Tang swag. (Winner must be present at 4 PM drawing)
Timed Activities | 1:15 to 5 PM
- 1:15 PM: Malloy Curator and Assistant Director for Curatorial Affairs Rachel Seligman lead a gallery talk with exhibiting artists Zaria Forman ’05, Fitzhugh Karol ’04, Zehra Khan ’04, and Susan Meyer ’86.
- 2:15 PM: Tang Collections Tour with Senior Registrar Elizabeth Karp and Collections Registrar Kara Jefts
- 3 PM: Curator’s Tour with Associate Curator Rebecca McNamara and Evan Little ’22, the 2020-21 Charina Endowment Fund Intern
- 4 PM: Raffle Winners Announced (Winners must be present at drawing)
- 4:01 PM: Pony in the Pancake in concert
In case of inclement weather, all activities will be held inside the Tang. Click the link below to learn more about this fun summer event!