The first episode to re-launch The Essential Oil Revolution podcast is here! In the show I interviewed Jade Shutes. Her knowledge on essential oils, education, and experience is truly awe-inspiring. In fact, she is the past president and one of the founding members for NAHA (National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy). She helped establish the clinical guidelines for certification in aromatherapy. Jade is also an author, researcher, herbalist, and founder of the School of Aromatic Studies.
During the show, we dive deep into how Jade views the models of aromatherapy, the French and English. She believes eventually we will have a merger of the two that balances the safe internal and external use of essential oils. We also discuss how empowering essential oils are and how they can be used for self-care and incorporated into integrative mental health care.
1. What it was like in the early days of aromatherapy.
2. How the aromatherapy world changed over the years (from massage to medicinal use).
3. Why the internal use of essential oils is so controversial including:
- quality concerns
- different schools of thought in aromatherapy
- labeling laws for cosmetic use vs. internal use
- FDA GRAS status for essential oils
4. The ability of essential oils to balance stress and emotions.
5. What makes Jade so passionate about teaching essential oils, including her mission to remove the fear surrounding their use and to offer a balanced perspective.
6. Jade’s predictions on how aromatherapy is unfolding given the growth and changes that have already occurred, including in the area of mental health.
7. Jade’s favorite DIY: Fir Oil Roller and Personal Inhalers. These enhance the experience of nature and Forest bathing. (See additional recipes from Jade here.)
8. Closing Questions: What Jade does for self-care and what she says we should ditch and replace with instead for more balanced living.
Click here to listen in on the latest episode and access the show notes.
Click here to get more resources and details on the show and Jade.
Naturopathic Medicine and Holistic Resources for Hormone, Digestive, and Mood Support
- Stay Connected! Sign-up for my free weekly newsletter.
- Free resources and more education on essential oils and mind-body wellness are available to you here.
- Tools for coping with isolation and separation.
- Learn about my community membership program that provides full access to my essential oils database, essential oils course, Q&As, and exclusive content.
- The Essential Oil Revolution podcast
Disclaimer: This material is for information purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any illness. You should check with your doctor regarding implementing any new strategies into your wellness regime. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
This information is applicable ONLY for therapeutic quality essential oils. This information DOES NOT apply to essential oils that have not been tested for purity and standardized constituents. There is no quality control in the United States, and oils labeled as “100% pure” need only to contain 5% of the actual oil. The rest of the bottle can be filled with fillers and sometimes toxic ingredients that can irritate the skin. The studies are not based solely on a specific brand of an essential oil, unless stated. Please read the full study for more information.