According to the most recent data from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) there were approximately 214,000 TBI-related hospitalizations in 2020 and almost 69,500 TBI-related deaths in 2021. Yet, the impact may be much higher, as these estimates do not include the TBIs that are treated in the emergency department, primary care, urgent care, or those that go untreated.
There are still many myths about TBIs. For example, there is a belief that “minor” blows to the head won’t cause any or much damage. This is not true. Minor TBIs (mTBIs) are now recognized as a major cause of mental health and behavioral disorders. They can also worsen existing psychiatric illnesses. (R, R, R)
Currently, many physicians do not know how to adequately diagnosis and treat head injuries. This means many people are still receiving inaccurate information. For these reasons, TBIs are referred to as a “silent epidemic.”
In this episode of the Essential Oil Revolution, we are blessed to have the physician who literally wrote the book on how to heal and recover from head injuries. It is based on his extensive background in treating major psychiatric disorders and as the current Associate Medical Director of the Northwest at one of the world-renowned Amen Clinics.
The Amen Clinics specialize in brain SPECT imaging. Unlike traditional psychiatry that rarely looks at the organ it treats, SPECT scans measure brain blood flow and activity. This allows for more accurate and precise assessment and treatment. Currently, the ten Amen Clinics hold the world’s largest database of brain scans for psychiatry with over 200,000 SPECT scans on patients from 155 countries.
I must admit, talking to Dr. Chapek was an incredible honor for me. I’ve been following the Amen Clinics for years. I have applied their methods and supplements in my practice with exceptional results. Their work has literally changed the brains and lives of many of my clients.
During the show, Dr. Chapek discusses all there is to know about TBIs. This includes what they are, how to treat them, how to prevent damage when you get a blow to the head, diagnosing a brain injury, the benefits of SPECT scans, keeping your brain healthy in general, how essential oils fit into this picture, and much more.
Below is a summary of what you will learn but be sure to tune into the full episode so you don’t miss any of this essential information.
What You Will Learn:
- The prevalence of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and mild TBIs and why they are the silent epidemic.
- How Dr. Chapek became interested in mental health and what led him to want to specialize in healing injured brains.
- How the Amen Clinics method of looking at the brain through SPECT imaging is revolutionizing brain health, destigmatizing mental illness, and optimizing treatment.
- A story on the implications of discovering that a head trauma was the root cause of “depression”.
- The primary and secondary pathological changes in brain function and structure from a concussion.
- How ongoing brain inflammation from a head injury can lead to more noticeable symptoms later in life.
- How a certain antioxidant can be used immediately after a brain injury to prevent neuron cell death.
- The patterns of brain dysfunction that show up on SPECT imaging to help diagnose a brain injury as the root cause of mental or cognitive issues.
- The “First Aid Kit” for your brain and how using this combination of supplements are imperative when there’s been a hit to the head.
- How there’s hope for rehabilitating brains that have been damaged long-term, as evidenced by Amen Clinic’s NFL player study.
- What essential oils high in sesquiterpenes can assist with preventing excess brain inflammation.
- How essential oils support brain health.
- Two supplement stars for preventing post-concussion symptoms.
- How brain injury impacts hormones.
- How contact sports impact brain health and hormones, especially in young brains.
- Why corticosteroids and magnesium threonate may not be helpful right after a brain injury.
- The role of melatonin for brain injury.
- How the acronym BRIGHT MINDS can help one to optimize brain health and prevent dementia.
- The role of the ketogenic diet after a brain injury and how it may not be the best for all brains in the long-term.
- Chapek’s essential oils DIYs for diffusing oils in the car and preventing smelly feet.
- Closing questions: (1) What Dr. Chapek does for self-care daily and (2) What he feels we should ditch and replace with instead for better health and self-care.
Find Dr. Chapek at https://www.amenclinics.com/team/kabran-chapek-nd/.
Click here to access the full show summary and additional resources.
Please support the show by subscribing and providing a rating and feedback on your favorite podcast player. This is a no-cost way to spread the word and to help us stay in alignment with what you want. It also ensures we keep providing you with the best guests, like Dr. Chapek!
Naturopathic Medicine and Holistic Resources for Hormone, Digestive, and Mood Support
- Stay Connected! Sign-up for my free weekly newsletter.
- Free resources and more education on essential oils and mind-body wellness are available to you here.
- Tools for coping with isolation and separation.
- Learn about my community membership program that provides full access to my essential oils database, essential oils course, Q&As, and exclusive content.
- The Essential Oil Revolution podcast
Disclaimer: This material is for information purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any illness. You should check with your doctor regarding implementing any new strategies into your wellness regime. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
This information is applicable ONLY for therapeutic quality essential oils. This information DOES NOT apply to essential oils that have not been tested for purity and standardized constituents. There is no quality control in the United States, and oils labeled as “100% pure” need only to contain 5% of the actual oil. The rest of the bottle can be filled with fillers and sometimes toxic ingredients that can irritate the skin. The studies are not based solely on a specific brand of an essential oil, unless stated. Please read the full study for more information.