Last week, Saratoga Spa State Park released a video of lightning striking a tree at the SPAC Box Office. This incredible video has been picking up some major steam across weather-related social channels throughout the nation.
Have a look at the video that is catching so much attention:
That poor tree…
Now here are 5 interesting facts you didn’t know about lightning!
Although many people are well-versed in the basic thunderstorm safety tips and facts, here are some that may surprise you and you may want to keep in mind for for the next time you’re caught in a storm:
1. Think rubber shoes will save your life? Think again, they will in fact, not protect you from lightning!
2. Calling your loved ones during a storm is extremely frowned upon. Talking on a home phone is the leading cause of injuries that occur inside the home! Injury from cell phone usage is not well documented, but experts recommend never to use a cell phone while outside in stormy weather.
3. The entire planet is struck on average, by more than a hundred lightning bolts every second.
4. In any 1 year in the U.S., your odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 700,000. As for your entire life, your odds are 1 in 3,000. May the odds forever be in your favor!
5. Historically, the 4th of July is recorded as one of the most deadliest times of the year. (Make sure the light in the sky you’re seeing is fireworks!)
Hopefully after reading these facts you’re well aware to use caution while having some summer fun outdoors! Just remember to never be fooled by a blue sky and sunshine, and listen for thunder to serve as a warning that lightning may be nearby!
Thanks to National Geographic I was able to learn a handful of things about lightning that many of you probably didn’t know before!