February Break is fast approaching, which leaves many moms, dads, and babysitters with a common dilemma – what do you do with the kids for a week?! Fear not, guardians! We’ve scoured local events calendars and have created a February Break cheat sheet that’s packed with simple, stress-free ways to keep the youngsters entertained.
Each of the following events is happening in Saratoga or in surrounding cities, like Glens Falls and Albany, that are easy day-trip destinations. You may even want to get the kids involved in picking out their favorite activities!
1. Empire Skate Plaza – Today – February 28
Take your kids ice skating at the plaza! Admission is free and rentals cost just $3 for children and $4 for adults.
2. Butterfly House at miSci – February 14 – April 19
The popular butterfly house at miSci is back! Learn about the lifecycle of a butterfly, watch them eat, and see how many different varieties you can spot. There are lots of other events happening at miSci during February Break too!
3. Winter Enrichment at SUNY Adirondack – February 16 – February 20
Take advantage of educational opportunities during February Break! SUNY Adirondack has a variety of week-long classes at both its Queensbury and Wilton campuses that your kids will love!
4. KidzArt and Club Scientific Camp – February 16 – February 20
You and your kids can choose two activities and any day combination that works for you – Art & Science, Art & Drama, or Science & Drama.
5. Camp CSI – February 16 – February 20
Kids will learn to become Crime Scene Investigators during actual crime scene setups! Science will be incorporated into the investigation making it fun and educational!
6. Art Camp at The Hyde Museum – February 17 – February 20
If your kids are budding young artists, they’ll love learning new drawing, painting, and sculpting skills at The Hyde!
7. Lake George Winter Carnival – Weekends in February
The Lake George Winter Carnival is worth the drive. There are so many activities for you and the kids to enjoy, and you can even go twice during February Break!
8. The Flurry Festival – February 13 – February 15
Kids will love dancing, dipping, and whirling with thousands of other spirited dancers. This is a great chance for them to get some energy out!
9. Family Winter Wonderland Weekend – February 14, 10:00AM- 4:00PM
Enjoy a free, fantastic day of winter fun, complete with hiking, snowshoeing, tubing, campfires, candle-making, and crafts.
10. Stay & Play Camp – February 14 – February 15
Keep the kids active by bringing them to West Mountain in Queensbury for the weekend! The camp is fully supervised and includes lessons, lift tickets, lunch, and tubing.
11. Good Vibrations – February 16, 11:00AM – 11:45AM
The World Awareness Children’s Museum in Glens Falls has tons of February Break activities to choose from, including Good Vibrations, which will teach kids about the science of sounds.
12. Zoo in the Sky – February 17, 11:00AM
Meet a lion, bears and other animals of the night sky! The program will be followed by a craft project and animal crackers. Geared for children ages 3-7 and their families.
13. Winter Break Program at The Tang – February 18, 10:00AM – 11:30AM
This workshop for budding artists (ages 6 and up) will feature a discussion of one of Saratoga Reads’ junior books and an art project related to the story.
14. The Airborne Jugglers – February 18, 11:00AM – 11:45AM
Children of all ages will enjoy this high-energy juggling and comedy show!
15. STEAM Workshop – February 18, 6:30PM – 8:00PM
Kids (and parents) will learn how to design, build, and invent their own creations and will have the chance to make a light-up drawing project.
16. Little Brains Trivia – February 19, 2:00PM – 4:00PM
Children ages 6-14 are invited to participate in this 40-question trivia contest!
17. Mac-n-Cheese Bowl – February 21, 11:00AM – 2:00PM
What kid doesn’t love macaroni and cheese?! Try 30 different varieties of the dish and vote for your favorites.
18. Ballston Spa Winter Fun Festival – February 21
Enjoy the annual Winter Fun Festival in Downtown Ballston Spa!
19. Little Folks Concert with Matt Heaton – February 22, 1:00PM
Matt has a repertoire of kid-friendly folk & surf-inspired originals and reworked classics that will keep your youngsters entertained and engaged.
20. Northshire’s Artsy Afternoon – February 22, 2:00PM
Come hear the classic book Owl Moon by Jane Yolen and create an owl craft!
In between all of these great events, it can be fun to spend time together at home! Some great February Break ideas include baking cookies, making a blanket fort, watching old home movies, playing in the snow, or doing arts & crafts.
If you use this February Break cheat sheet, you can be sure that the kids will have a great time and you won’t feel stressed or irritated. Have a good week!