With track season fast approaching in Saratoga Springs, it’s time to get to know NYRA’s newest race caller who will be succeeding Tom Durkin this summer. The voice of the Triple Crown and the Breeders’ Cup for NBC Sports, Larry Collmus, will be taking over as Saratoga Race Course’s newest announcer.
Here are a few facts about our new race caller, Larry Collmus:
- Native of Baltimore, Maryland
- Called his first race at Bowie Race Course at the young age of 18
- Received national attention in 2010 for his race call at Monmouth Park which went viral on Youtube (check it out and you’ll see why it became so popular!)
- Worked at various tracks including: Golden Gate Fields, Suffolk Downs, Monmouth Park, Churchill Downs and Gulfstream Park.
- Represented NBC Sports at the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes starting in 2011
- Considers Saratoga the “Mecca of racing”
- Made his most memorable call at his first Kentucky Derby in 2011
- This isn’t the first time he’s succeeded Durkin! He took his place at NBC in 2011