Looking to spread cheer beyond your family, friends and loved ones this holiday season? There are many different ways you can give back around the holidays with various charities, food drives and more. Attend a fundraising event or donate your time or money to a local charity. Take a look at the options, and offer a helping hand this season!
Local and Regional Charities
- Shelters of Saratoga - Shelters of Saratoga strives to ensure that every member of our community has safe and affordable housing. We provide shelter, advocacy and referral services for the homeless and those at risk of homelessness.
14 Walworth Street, Saratoga Springs 12866
- Saratoga Arts - Saratoga arts is a non-profit arts service organization dedicated to devolping a thriving cultural environment in the Saratoga region. They operate the Arts Center with a gift shop and gallery, provide art classes, and sgrant funds to support community and cultural programming. They also generate the programming for First Night Saratoga.
320 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- Jake's Help From Heaven - The goal of Jake's Help From Heaven is to assist children and their families affected by debilitating illnesses including neurological impairments, mitochondrial and genetic disorders, and pediatric orthopedic problems.
They provide grants and financial assistance, support research regarding rare disorders, spread awareness, and provide a storeroom and exchange opportunity for familes requiring adaptive equipment.
161 Circular Street, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- The Giving Circle, Inc. - The Giving Circle, Inc. celebrates community and the concept of one person, one community reaching out to another in a cycle of giving. Through our interconnectedness, interdependence, and the expanded power and possibility created by our love, support, compassion, and cooperation, we will make a difference in the quality of people's lives.
P.O. Box 3162, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- SCCC Empty Stocking Project - This project provides holiday gifts and necessities to over 1,000 children in Saratoga County. At the heart of the project are the "friends" who generously sponsor a child every year, filling their holiday wishes. Please contact the Committee if you are interested in sponsoring a child or contributing to this endeavor.
P.O. Box 1254 Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- Franklin Community Center - In addition to our food pantry, which is open year-round, we also provide holiday food baskets at Thanksgiving and Christmas to hundreds of less fortunate people within our community. With the help of local churches, civic groups and businesses, local residents are able to enjoy a delicious holiday meal that otherwise may not have been possible.
10 Franklin Street, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- Creative Endeavors Gift Shop - Shop Creative Endeavors Gift Shop for those special, one-of-a-kind gifts and support Saratoga Bridges! See the amazing artwork created by the individuals we serve.
16 Saratoga Bridges Boulevard
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
(518) 363-0015 x 303
- Toys For Tots - The mission of the Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted. You can drop off toys at many nearby locations, donate money online, or mail in donations.
3033 St. Rt. 4, Hudson Falls, NY 12839
- Make-A-Wish Northeast New York Chapter -
The Make-A-Wish FoundationÂ grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength, and joy.Â
The Northeast New York chapterÂ serves the 15 counties that comprise the 518 area code.
One Mustang Drive, Cohoes, NY 12047
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region - United Way of the Greater Capital Region maintains its commitment to address the root cause of problems and focus on the building blocks for a good life so our children have a bright future and our community remains an attractive place in which to live, work, raise a family and conduct business.
One United Way, P.O. Box 13865 Albany, NY 12212
The Salvation Army - The traditional red kettle is an integral part of the Christmas scene, with millions of dollars donated each year to aid needy families, seniors, and the homeless, in keeping with the spirit of the season. Donations provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and toys for families in need.
27 Woodlawn Ave. P.O. Box 652, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 584-1640 x1693
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - Their mission is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of their founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.
262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105
- Habitat for Humanity of Northern Saratoga, Warren, and Washington Counties - A nondenominational Christian housing Organizations that coordinates all aspects of Habitat home building in our local area-fund raising, building site selection, partner family selection, house construction, and mortgage servicing.
4 Glens Falls Technical Park, Suite 4
Glens Falls, NY 12801
There are also plenty of opportunites to donate while you are doing your holiday shopping. Next time you're at the checkout line and are asked if you would like to donate $1 to a certain charity, don't just say ok, ask if you can give a little more.. When you see the bell ringer with the red kettle, instead of offering the quarter in your pocket, grab a buck.
This list offers a great selection of charities, but there are also many others in the area that would be great to give to. Please tell us in the comments below of any other charities or opportunities to make a difference this holiday season!
Return to the Saratoga Holiday Guide »