With the holiday season in full swing, sugary “treats” and dancing sugar plums are not a welcome temptation for many. Those who struggle with food cravings and who are trying to stay healthy during the holidays may particularly be challenged all the way from October to January.
There are several ways that essential oils can help to prevent your “inner cookie monster” from taking over. Here are five of my favorites:
- Smell and appetite – there have been several studies that support how smell is linked appetite regulation. This is through its connection to taste and the impact of odors on our emotional brain. Furthermore, the compounds in essential oils can favorably modulate our biochemistry and mood. This makes essential oils especially helpful for those with emotional eating issues or the “holiday blues.” (See my latest blog on holiday blues here.)
- Balancing healthy blood sugar – there is evidence that essential oils can support healthy blood sugar balance. When blood sugar is too high or too low, cravings can hit.
- Stress and hormonal balance– both are drivers of changing our brain chemistry and causing us to crave unhealthy foodstuffs to balance our brain signals (e.g., carbs to increase serotonin or sugar/fat to get a dopamine hit).
- Assists with digestion– if you can’t digest the nutrients you need, you’ll crave more “extreme foods.” This is because signals from your gut to your brain are connected. Here’s how essential oils can help and here’s a list of my favorite essential oils for happy tummies during the holiday.
- They can be ingested and flavor your food as they maintain some therapeutic value. Read about cooking with essential oils here.
Now…the fun part!
Healthy, Happy Holiday Shakes!
Check out Dr. C’s PDF of some of the yummiest holiday shake recipes I’ve tried. Here’s my two UPGRADES for oil lovers…
- Replace the spices with a drop of your favorite essential oils. (Make sure your essential oils are safe for consumption!) For example, add Thieves to the Eggnog Shake over allspice and to trade out the pumpkin pie spice for the Pumpkin Pie Delight.
- You can use you’re your favorite protein shake with these recipes. Just look at this whole-food protein shake full of goodness, essential oils, essential nutrients to curb cravings, balance blood sugar, and help keep your waistline in check. (You can get more information on these products here.)
This year, I’m ordering some of these shakes for myself and for loved ones and I’m giving them these recipes as an early Christmas present! This will also come in handy for a “New Year, New You” present for yourself.
Here’s to a happy, yummy, healthy holiday season…
Now…back to my Nut Butter Peppermint Shake (I use Maca tea, I’m a “lazy cook”).
Don’t forget, you can always sip on some lavender hot chocolate to help you relax and enjoy the festivities!!
Click here for my latest blog on my favorite essential oil for cats.
If you want to learn more about essential oils and their uses, view my full database here and sign-up for my essential oil weekly E-blasts. If you want to work with my oil team members and myself, make sure you contact me here.
P.S. I’d love to tweet with you here.
Join my Facebook group to learn more about all topics related to health!
If you enjoyed the post, please share and considering joining my subscribed readers!
This material is for information purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any illness. You should check with your doctor regarding implementing any new strategies into your wellness regime. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.