- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups thinly sliced, peeled baking apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening.
- Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll half of dough into 10-in. circle. Place into a 9-in. pie pan.
- In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to apples and toss.
- Pour into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits in top.
- Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.