We let the dogs in from that nightly potty run and it was a night like any other night, but there was foam coming from their mouths and a strong gasoline, onions and an chemical stench. I ran to the internet and searched “dog foam at mouth stinks” and found they had been sprayed by skunk!
What do you do when your dog is sprayed by a skunk?
Here are the top ten things you should do NOW!!! This is a combination of the best advice from friends and around the web – all tested, almost all – all natural!
Best advice Tip #1 & 2 was from this forum
1. Get the dog(s) out of the house NOW!!!
Everywhere are dogs went stunk, there were skunk spray stains on the floor where they laid. Even blankets they didn’t go near smelled. In a matter of 10 minutes, our house was headache creating stinky! So I grabbed the dogs and put them in the garage with a heater while I started working on best advice #2.
2. Bathe them with this first
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup of Baking soda (NOT baking powder)
1 tablespoon of dish soap
Do not add water, just rub them with this everywhere. If you do not have this, don’t use tomato juice, use Tomato Paste. Then rinse and then repeat. Don’t follow other’s advice to get them professionally bathed yet, as your car will smell!
3. Launder everything with baking soda
We tossed the towels, but laundered our clothes in baking soda and laundry detergent. This worked.
4. Sprinkle baking soda on every rug, carpet and soft surface the dogs touched and leave it there overnight
5. Wash floors with vinegar
6. Put bowls of vinegar and plates of coffee grounds around the house to remove the smell
7. Bake cinnamon sticks and bread
8. If you still smell skunk – try purification oils or peppermint oil
9. After you have done your best for the dogs, bring them to a groomer for a skunk bath, yes it’s chemicals but your dogs will be glad when you want to snuggle with them again.
So by now, you can imagine we thought we were home free! We showered and were so proud, no more stench. Off to our son’s soccer game. But then I heard “do you smell that? … smells like skunk”…. yup #10…. don’t forget about yourself!
#10. Take a baking soda shower
Soap does not do the trick.