I’m so excited about sharing with you on the power of essential oils to modulate your immune system and to keep you healthy during this busy holiday season. I was reminded of how lucky I am to have these oils when my niece recently came down with strep. My sister, not wanting to bother me, didn’t tell me about my “little Bella’s” woes until she had the stereotypical white bogies in the back of her throat.
My sister had been using herbals, vitamin C, and nutrients with only moderate results. My niece had been feeling bad for a few days and my sister was concerned.
I recommended a blend of different essential oils that benefit the immune system, all properly diluted in coconut oil for little Bella. Within a few days, Bella’s immune system seemed to be faring quite well and her throat googies were gone! (Please see my database for essential oils for the immune system and children and safety.)
1. Essential oils have an innate intelligence and have been studied extensively for supporting wellness. (see references below)
2. There are specific oils that have been found to be more effective for differing types of health concerns. This is due to the varying amounts of active constituents in various plant species.
Below are some references that support the use of essential oils for immune support.
(1) Yap PS, Lim SH, Hu CP, Yiap BC. Combination of essential oils and antibiotics reduce antibiotic resistance in plasmid-conferred multidrug resistant bacteria. Phytomedicine. 2013 Jun 15;20(8-9):710-3. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2013.02.013. Epub 2013 Mar 26.
(2) Chao, S, Young, G, Oberg, C, & Nakaoka, K. Inhibition of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by essential oils. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. J. 2008; 23: 444-449 (www.interscience.wiley.com) DOI: 10.1002/ffj.1904
(3) Nelson, J. Selection of resistance to the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia in Staphylococcus aureus. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. (2000) 45 (4): 549-550. doi: 10.1093/jac/45.4.549
(4) Gordon, A. Can Cinnamon Oil Fight this winter’s Microbial Assault? GreenMedInfo.com. Newsletter. February 5, 2012. Accessed April 11, 2013.
(5) H Jazani, M Zartoshti, H Babazadeh, N Ali-daiee, S Zarrin, & S Hosseini. Antibacterial effects of Iranian fennel essential oil on isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii [abstract]. Pak J Biol Sci [online]. 2009; 12(9):738-41.Accessed April 10, 2013.
(6) Al-Bayati FA. Synergistic antibacterial activity between Thymus vulgaris and Pimpinella anisum essential oils and methanol extracts [abstract]. J Ethnopharmacol [online]. 2008; 116(3):403-6. Accessed July 22, 2013.
(7) F. D. D’Auria, M. Tecca, V. Strippoli, G. Salvatore, L. Battinelli & G. Mazzanti. Antifungal activity of Lavandula angustifolia essential oil against Candida albicans yeast and mycelial form. Informa Helathcare. Medical Mycology [online]. 2005; 43(5):391-396. Accessed April 13,