Broadway Historic District of Saratoga
When locals and vistors alike think of Saratoga, the first image that is bound to come to their mind is... Broadway!
Photo Credit: Samantha Decker
Broadway is often referred to as "downtown", as it is the main strip of the city, housing a variety of popular stores and businesses. Broadway is well known and loved, but did you know that Broadway is a Historic District?
The Broadway Historic District is comprised of a distinct southern and northern section, including beautiful neighborhoods. The southern end of Broadway is home to more of the commerical aspects of the city, consisting of many businesses and private buildings. The north end is more of a residential neighborhood with stunning Victorian homes.
In 1979, Broadway was recognized as a historic district by the National Register of Historic Places. Now, what does it mean to be a "historic district"? In 1977, Saratoga Springs enacted a local historic preservation ordinance that allowed for buildings and neighborhoods to be protected from destruction and new construction. Therefore, a process of review requires any changes to a specific building within the district to be pre-approved. The whole goal of the process is to maintain historic preservation of architecture, while still allowing an owner the ability to adapt the structures to their needs.
Today, there are more than 1,000 buildings on the historic registry!
The Historic Districts - Names & Locations
Union Ave - This district consists of both sides of Union Ave, from Regent St. to Ludlow St. (as well as structures located on parallel streets and alleys to the north and south).
Eastside Area - This district is home to 400 structures on Circular, Nelson Ave, Spring, George, Court, York, Phila and Caroline Streets, Lake, Madison, Fifth, and East Avenues. It also includes alleyways including Cottage, Mitchell, Diamond, Morton, Talford Place, and Starbuck Lane.
Congress Park Area - The Congress Park area district consists of Congress Park and sections of Broadway from Circular to Spring Streets, along with sections of Circular and Regent south of Spring St.
Hillside Area - This district includes Phila, Lafayette and Caroline between Henry and Circular Streets.
Broadway Area - The district is a section of Broadway that stretches from Spring St. to Van Dam St.
North Broadway Area- The North Broadway area district stretches from Van Dam to Fourth St., including buildings on Greenfield, Clement, Woodlawn, Clinton, State and First Streets, and Carriage House Lane.
- Franklin Square Area - This district is one block west of Broadway along Grand Ave, Franklin, Divison, Clinton, Walton, and West Harrison Streets.
Historic Buildings & Sites
Adelphi Hotel - The hotel was built in 1877 and is the last surviving hotel from the 19th Century, located on 361-365 Broadway. The hotel is planned to undergo reservations.
Adirondack Trust Company Building - Founded in 1901 by NYS Senator Edgar T. Brackett, this historic bank features Tiffany bronze doors and chandeliers, and is located on 473 Broadway.
Bethesda Episcopal Church - Located on 41 Washington Street, the Bethesda Episcopal Church was incorporated as a church in 1830.
City Hall - City Hall is located on 474 Broadway, an ornate three-story brick building constructed in 1871.
Collamer Building - Located on 480 Broadway, the Collamer Building is a large three stories commerical building, built in 1884.
High Rock Spring - The High Rock Spring was known to Native Americans for over 5,000 years. In the late 1700s, Mohawk Indians carried an ailing Sir William Johnson to the spring, and as the first white man to visit the site, he spread the word about the spring's healing powers.
S.W. Ainsworth Building - This ornate Victorian brick building is three stories and dates back to 1871. Located at 456-70 Broadway.