SARATOGA SPRINGS – Do you need a gym membership or are you throwing your money away?
I wish that the answer to this was simple and consistent for everyone, but it just isn’t that easy. We all work on a different schedule with our families, our jobs, our lifestyle, and everything else life throws at us.
As the owner of a personal training gym and former owner of a Spinning studio you may think that I will always say that you need to pay money to workout.
Let’s break down some factors that may help you with your decision.
You probably don’t need a gym membership if you answered “YES” to most of the following:
• You prefer to work out alone. So much so, that you don’t even want to be around other folks.
• Self-motivation is no problem for you.
• You are able to keep yourself accountable.
• You track your progress in some manner.
• You are on a tight budget.
• Your schedule is a little non-traditional (traveling a lot, odd hours, etc.).
• You came, you saw, you conquered! You were taught what to do and now can do that on your own.
A gym membership, personal trainer, or a group fitness class may be right for you for the following reasons:
• Working out is more fun for you when you are around your “tribe”. (ps – this is SO me!)
• You have a tough time lacing up your shoes unless someone tells you to get your butt to class.
• You paid for it, so you better use it!
• You prefer a certified professional (do your homework!) to help you reach your goals and teach you proper techniques to keep you safe and healthy.
• You like to and can invest in your health and wellness.
• Trying new things can be scary, but you are excited to see what it is all about.
You may have fit nicely into one of these categories, or you may be a bit of both. Your choice is not concrete and can constantly change depending on your lifestyle and budget. Try out what works best for you and your goals.
In good health,
Angela Amedio is a Master Instructor with the Spinning program, a 200 hour certified yoga teacher, and a certified personal trainer through ACSM, ACE, and AFAA She is also the #1 most watched instructor on SpinTV. She wants to see everyone achieve their fitness goals. She is also a Buffalo Bills fan, but despite this, maintains a sunny optimistic attitude. ? Visit SaratogaStrong.com for more info.