By Maureen Werther
The WJ Grande Industrial Park continues to be an economic driver in the region nearly 70 years after it was first developed by its namesake, William J. Grande.
In the early 1950s, Grande purchased approximately 550 acres on Cady Hill in Saratoga Springs, adjacent to the D&H Railroad. The lifelong developer and philanthropist envisioned Cady Hill Research and Industrial Park, as it was originally named, as a vehicle for creating sustainable employment locally, as well as creating a revenue base for the county.
Grande’s acquisition proved to be as beneficial for the region as he had envisioned, with a succession of businesses moving into the park over the course of several decades.
General Foods was the first company to locate in the park in 1959. They employed over 200 people for more than three decades. During the 1960s and 1970s, several small regional companies located in the park, and in the 1980s Guyson, American Tissue, Quad Graphics and Ball Corp. became tenants of the park. Ball, Quad and Guyson are still fully operational and have steadily employed more than 1,500 people since they located there.