Think your kids would love to attend a fun wilderness summer camp? Ndakinna Education Center in Greenfield Center, NY offers a wide range of programming that focuses on wilderness skills, animal tracking, Native American games, and more.
Get Wild Ndakinna Style
The Ndakinna Education Center is an affiliate of the Greenfield Review Literary Center, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and charitable organization. Ndakinna is Abenaki for "Our Land," and through their programs, the Center provides people of all ages with unique hands-on experiences, outdoor learning, principles of indigenous life, team building, character development, and awareness of the natural world.
Their five main areas of learning include:
- Wilderness & Survival Skills - Fire making, shelter building, animal tracking, snowshoeing, awareness
- Adirondack & Native American Culture - Storytelling, dance, crafts, games, traditions, exhibit spaces
- Ecology & Nature Studies - Plant & bird identification, healing, sustainability, nature trail walks on their 80-acre preserve
- Fitness & Martial Arts - Kyokushin Karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Kickboxing, Mixed Martial Arts, kids classes
- Personal & Team Development - Low ropes challenge course, conflict resolution, team building, leadership training, corporate retreats
In addition, the Center features an exhibit space, a large presentation room, an animal tracking room, and a gift shop.
Browse Programs & Events
Most of the programs, educational series, and events are held year-round at Ndakinna Education Center and their adjacent 80-acre Marion F. Bowman Bruchac Memorial Nature Preserve. They offer a variety of specialty courses, such as Wilderness First Aid, as well as multiple summer camps for kids and teens.
2019 Camp Schedule
- February 18 - 20: Winter Wilderness Adventure & Storytelling Camp (Ages 6 - 8)
- February 18 - 22: Winter Wilderness Adventure Camp (Ages 9 - 12)
- February 18 - 22: Teen Winter Wilderness Adventure Camp (Ages 13 - 16)
- April 22 - 24: Spring Tracking & Adventure Camp (Ages 5 1/2 - 7)