Get the Basics About Summer Camps in Saratoga
As a parent, you may have many questions about summer camp if this is your child's first time attending. Our information on summer camps in the Saratoga Springs area will help you get a general understanding of the basics, and below you will also find a list of suggested questions to ask local camp directors so you can learn even more.
Summer Camp Basics
Prices vary considerably between summer camps, so find one that fits your family's budget. You may find some as low as $20 a day while others may cost $120 a day. Still sound unaffordable? Your family may qualify for summer camp scholarships and discounts (even at private camps), and nonprofit organizations sometimes offer summer camp at little or no charge. Explore summer and youth camps in the area to find one that fits your needs and budget.
Know your options for summer camp! Overnight camps (aka sleepaway or resident camps) are often very popular and offer children the full summer camp experience. Sports camps are a wonderful way for your child to get some great exercise and sharpen their skills over the summer.
Saratoga Springs sports camps range from basketball and soccer to cheerleading camps and others. Afraid your child isn't ready for sleepaway camp? Day camp is a great option for children in their early years into their teens (some accept children under five). Day camps also offer the same caliber of outdoor and arts and crafts experiences.
Does your child have a special need, such as a physical or learning disability? Many summer camps take steps to accommodate such campers, with trained staff who can offer your child the same summer full of fun as any other young girl or boy. Research local summer camps, and add this to your list of questions to ask the camp directors.
While away at camp, it is normal for your child to go through some separation anxiety or feel homesick. Most of the time, this is not a cause for concern and they will likely overcome their fears in a matter of days. Learn how to prepare your child for overnight summer camp in Saratoga if you are worried about sending him/her to a sleepaway camp.
If you are concerned with the responsibility of your child's summer camp, look for one that is ACA accredited. These camps must meet nearly 300 health, safety, and program quality standards, and there are many summer camps in the Saratoga Springs area that are ACA accredited.
It is not uncommon for parents to spend the winter researching, touring facilities and meeting with camp directors to find summer camps that might be right for their child. It's a good idea to get an early start and secure a place for your child while there is still availability. Begin exploring your options today!
Suggested Questions to Ask Camp Directors
- What kind of summer camp activities will my child be doing?
- What safety precautions are taken for high-risk activities?
- How does your camp accommodate food allergies and special needs?
- What are your medical procedures and resources?
- What is the average age level of the counselors?
- Is there any counselor supervision, or do they work in pairs?
- Do the counselors have training or experience?
- What is your policy on parental visits and phone calls?
- How does your camp handle homesickness?
- What is your camper return rate?
- Are you accredited by the American Camping Association (ACA)?
- Can we schedule a visit to tour the grounds?
- Do you have any parental references I can call?
- What is the camper cell phone usage policy?